Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 04-10-23, 20:52

Default William Powell, herald painter

Apologies that this is so long:

William Powell was a herald painter, who died in 1813. His business address was 97 Newgate, and when he retired to Camberwell, his assistant, John Pearson Hayward succeeded to the business, living at the same address.
William's first marriage was to Margaret Cox. They had one surviving child, Mary.
Margaret died in 1777 and was buried in St Faith’s chapel under St Paul’s.
William remarried, to Mercy. They had two surviving daughters: Sarah Bates and Ann. Mercy predeceased him and William asked to be buried beside his two former wives.
William and his three surviving daughters all left wills:
William in 1813 https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...788?pId=171824
Sarah Bates in 1826 https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...814?pId=105362
Mary in 1832 https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...239?pId=613835
Ann in 1851 https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...00417?pId=9999

William married Margaret Cox by licence on or after 2 September 1765. They were both of Christchurch, Newgate Street, London. She was a minor, daughter of Isaac Cox, a baker.

William had a sister, Esther, a brother, and possibly other siblings, but I have no idea of his origins. Nor can I find either of his marriages. This may be because Christchurch Greyfriars was destroyed during WW2. Ancestry has some authentically charred records, but they don’t seem to include marriages. There’s something on Google Books, but it’s not clear whether it includes marriages.
Sarah Bates and Ann make much of their Openshaw relations. Mary stresses her links to Writtle in Essex. She mentions Mr Thomas Master Pryer of Writtle, Essex (who was actually born and died in Eynsford, Kent) Her Godson William Nash Round was the son of Jane nee Pryer and grandson of Thomas. She also mentions Mrs Smith (of the same place). Elizabeth was the widow of James Smith and they had moved to Writtle from St Faiths in London. She could have been a relative or a friend. Elizabeth seems to have outlived any immediate family, and I can’t find her marriage to pick up any clues. Miss Lucy Baumer was daughter of their neighbours in Camberwell per the Land Tax. Mary’s only named relations apart from her sisters were Mr William Thorogood of Ongar, Essex and Susan Baker, wife of George Baker, who I’ve mentioned in another thread and was William Thorogood’s sister b 1798 in Ongar.

The Openshaw connection goes back to Thomas Openshaw Cotton spinner d 1778. He married twice: firstly Margaret Walker and then Sarah. An old book on Bury gives Sarah’s name as Powell, without providing a source. She was born about 1736 and outlived William Powell, dying in 1820. As is getting depressingly familiar, I cannot locate the marriage.

So, can anyone find anything about William’s early life, to suggest where he and Esther might have come from, and if they were related to Thomas Openshaw’s second wife?

And can anyone see how the Thorogoods are related to Mary Powell? If it’s through her mother, Margaret Cox, it has to be a fair way back.
Old 04-10-23, 22:04
Administrator

I don't think you have mentioned this in your post, but William Powell's burial record gives his age as 72, so if that's right, he was born about 1740-1.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 04-10-23, 22:22
Administrator

In William Powell's will, his sister is Esther Taylor, widow, of Streatham, so could this be her marriage?
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...ce&pId=1116970

19 Sep 1774 at Chertsey, Esther being of the parish of Weybridge.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 05-10-23, 07:18

Yes I reckon that's her. Chertsey is a very watery place and Weybridge some distance from London. It raises as many questions as it answers. Was she local or on a long visit to friends?
Old 05-10-23, 07:44
Administrator

There's a PCC will for John Taylor of Chertsey, husband of Esther and which mentions Wm Powell (signed April 1787, proved 4 Feb 1803):

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/discovery...9eb1bd7acccb64

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 05-10-23, 08:28

Thanks, Merry. Esther was clearly a second wife. Interesting to know whether there were sufficient funds for her annuity. Because everything ws kept within the family, there's no death duty entry.