Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 09-08-23, 07:20
Administrator

I'll have to read the other thread again, (well, I should say I'll have to read the other thread, as I didn't read it properly yesterday!).

Will get back here later....

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 09-08-23, 07:50
Administrator

Ok, so that other thread begins with the birth cert of your friends' mother, b 1936 and adopted. Her original birth cert says she was the child of a woman called Ellen Moles nee Sherlock whose husband, Joseph Moles, was dead. You found an Ellen Sherlock on the 1939 census, who was unmarried, because you couldn't find a Sherlock/Moles marriage so thought the mum had lies about her status on the 1936 birth cert. The woman you were looking at is the one you mentioned in the opening post of the other thread - Ellen Sherlock b 1905 in England, the dau of Joseph Sherlock and Ruth Ryder Ratcliffe.

However, I found another Ellen Sherlock who had been married to a Mr Moles (John Moles though rather than Joseph) and had been widowed not long before 1936. The reason you hadn't seen her was because her events happened in Ireland. The 1936 birth cert mentioned a place in Ireland called Skerries which was where this Ellen was from. We decided this Ellen Sherlock b 1904 in Ireland was the mother of your friends' mother and not the English Ellen Sherlock. The Irish Ellen was the sister of JTS who was murdered.

I must have sent you an email with copies of the Irish records (I say I will in the other thread!).

I think after I did that we carried on corresponding about the Irish Sherlocks and that led to JTS the first time around! I didn't remember him yesterday, even when you opened this thread with what happened to him. It was only when you asked about whether he was married and I opened his death cert to see that info and read what was written in the cause of death box that I knew I'd been down this path before and a year ago sounded just right. How did the sisters learn their great uncle came to this fate? Did that come from you, or did they find out some other way?

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 09-08-23, 12:28

They told me Monday about John Terry Sherlock ??...no idea until i speak to them where the info came from - THANX AGAIN MERRY - BE LOST WITHOUT YOU XXXXX
Old 09-08-23, 12:49
Administrator

Ok, how strange!!

Old 09-08-23, 16:40

exactly ...puzzled now ...xx
Old 10-08-23, 05:48

Totally confused now - the girls Nan - Ellen Sherlock b 1905 in Everton ,Liverpool ----- parents Joseph Sherlock and Ruth Ryder Sutcliffe - Joseph and Ruth married in 1891 at Christ Church EVERTON,Liverpool ....on Lancsbmd ..... Ruth Ryder Sutcliffe was born 1867 ,West Derby ,Liverpool - on freebmd - so the girls said Ruth and Joseph came over from Ireland to have Ellen - so the family story is very wrong - checking 1901 census now
added
can't find Joseph or Ruth in Liverpool or Dublin in 1901 census ??
Old 10-08-23, 05:55

Ruth Ryder Sherlock
Sex Female
Age 34
Birth Year (Estimated) 1867
Birthplace Liverpool, Lancashire
Marital Status Married
Relationship to Head of Household Head
Relationship Code Head
Event Type Census
Event Date 31 Mar 1901
Event Place Everton, Liverpool, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom
Event Place (Original) Everton, Lancashire, England
Event Place Note Thirlmere Road Rydal Street
Sub-District North Everton
Registration District West Derby
Page Number 10
Piece/Folio 84
Schedule Type 51
Ruth Ryder Sherlock's Parents and Siblings

OPEN ALL
Thomas Suteliffe
Father
M
Liverpool, Lancashire

Ruth Ryder Sherlock's Spouses and Children

OPEN ALL
Joseph Sherlock
Son
M
Liverpool, Lancashire

Ruth Sherlock
Daughter
F
Liverpool, Lancashire

Everline Sherlock
Daughter
F
Liverpool, Lancashire

Mabel Sherlock
Daughter
F
Liverpool, Lancashire
so where is Joseph ? I am beginning to wonder if Ellen Sherlock b 1905 - was Joseph the father ?? had he left Ruth ?? Ruth was 38 when she had Ellen
Old 10-08-23, 06:32
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by garstonite View Post
Totally confused now - the girls Nan - Ellen Sherlock b 1905 in Everton ,Liverpool ----- parents Joseph Sherlock and Ruth Ryder Sutcliffe - Joseph and Ruth married in 1891 at Christ Church EVERTON,Liverpool ....on Lancsbmd ..... Ruth Ryder Sutcliffe was born 1867 ,West Derby ,Liverpool - on freebmd - so the girls said Ruth and Joseph came over from Ireland to have Ellen - so the family story is very wrong - checking 1901 census now
added
can't find Joseph or Ruth in Liverpool or Dublin in 1901 census ??
But that Ellen with those parents is not the right person.

The mother of the baby born in 1936 had been married to and been widowed from a Mr Moles and her address was in Skerries, not England. It says all that on the original birth cert for the 1936 baby. The Ellen b 1904 in Skerries married Mr Moles and had two children with him in Ireland. He died before 1936. She became pregnant with your friends' mother and came to England from Skerries to have the baby. She then returned to Ireland and the baby was adopted. She died in Ireland in the 1950s I think (that info is on the other thread).

Old 10-08-23, 06:37
Administrator

And she named the baby Alice after her grandmother, Alice Duff nee Hogan!!

Old 10-08-23, 07:00

Thanks Merry- so Ellen b 1905 is a red herring ....I understand now so - do I have this right - Ellen b 1904 Skerries - married Mr Moles - divorced Mr Moles - then had the Garston girls mum to someone else and that baby was then adopted in Liverpool- do we know who Ellen b 1904 parents were ???

added - daft question - as Ellen and Mr Moles ( do we know his christian name ?) were divorced - does that mean they were Protestants ??

Last edited by garstonite; 10-08-23 at 07:12.