Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > DNA Questions

Old 01-02-19, 21:40
Administrator

I have managed to figure out who my grandmother's biological father was from DNA matches (mine and my Dad's), and before I did my DNA test I didn't even know that her official father wasn't her bio father. It did take quite a bit of work though.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 01-02-19, 21:41
Administrator

Marquette, we ask that you don't post identifying details of your DNA matches, such as usernames. Thanks.

Old 01-02-19, 22:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
Marquette, we ask that you don't post identifying details of your DNA matches, such as usernames. Thanks.
oops sorry !
Old 01-02-19, 22:39

Dad did his dna test for me and thanked me for it, which I found funny as I'm getting more out of it than he has. He just wanted the ethnicity results. It is amazing how DNA is shared or not shared. Dad's first cousin and another first cousins son have had the test too as they all match. Dad's cousin however does not match with 2 of the great grandparents lines at all, while the cousins son has an even spread. I have come across an unknown who only matches with Dad and the first cousin and no other matches. There is no tree of course.

Dad has a pretty Leeds chart though. It wasn't hard either as he only has 92 4th cousin or closer matches.
Old 01-02-19, 22:52

According to Ancestry's matches, I only have one 3rd cousin who has tested (101cms across 5 segments) but I do have another who appears as a 4-6th cousin sharing only 23.8cms across 1 segment. The paper trail does confirm she is my 3rd cousin, but the amount shared is much lower than the other known 3rd cousin. I've found similar anomalies with 4th cousins, many of which are 10-20cms only yet confirmed by the paper trail. I don't seem to have inherited a lot of DNA across those lines.

I've one 5-8th cousin match who shares 6.1cms across 1 segment. Very low but her tree suggests 7-8th cousin on a line that I'm pretty sure is correct but there has always been a bit of a doubt because my last direct female ancestor on that line never used her middle name after she married (which would have confirmed her identity beyond any doubt and she died before 1851). However, balance of probabilities suggests that the research is correct but should I read too much into a link with someone at that level who has the family on their tree?

Out of 247 4th cousin or nearer matches, the vast majority are less than 25cms. Those with a bit more don't have trees and I can't quite work out where they link in. Bit frustrating but early days. I have managed to confirm a few pieces of research which has been helpful.
Old 02-02-19, 07:29

One thing I have noticed you can do is to search your DNA matches by location. I am just starting to do this to see whether it makes it easier to identify common ground.
Old 02-02-19, 07:56

With either a name search or location search, you can get a match with a private tree. One of my less common surnnames is Kingshott, someone with a private tree matched on both that name and a search for Fernhurst so I messaged him and we do indeed share a common ancestor and have swapped emails to our mutual advantage.
Old 02-02-19, 18:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
I have managed to figure out who my grandmother's biological father was from DNA matches (mine and my Dad's), and before I did my DNA test I didn't even know that her official father wasn't her bio father. It did take quite a bit of work though.

When I got my results I jokingly said to my sister that as my ethnicity was 8% European Jewish that one of our East End Great Grandmothers had had a fling with an exotic immigrant. Now I'm wondering if I was right!

I have a new 2nd cousin match with 231cM and nothing matches on his tree apart from the locations - all in the areas where my lot were living. He also matches one of my first cousins and his son so at least I know it's a paternal match but beyond that I don't know where to start. He also has a strong Jewish branch on his tree!!

I'd be interested to know how you worked out the relationships for your Grandmother, Kite.
Old 02-02-19, 19:05
Administrator

As in your case, Sue, it was the unexpected percentage of European Jewish DNA that showed that someone's parentage wasn't what it was supposed to be, and as my Dad had about 25% European Jewish DNA from his test, it had to be on his side (and I now realise, that 25% meant that one of his grandparents was Jewish, but when I started out on this I wasn't sure of how accurate the percentages were.) We had enough DNA matches to both sides of his father's tree to be sure that it must be on Granny's side. Then I had found DNA matches to Granny's mother's (Mutti's) mother's line, but none to Mutti's father's line nor to Granny's father's line, so I still wasn't sure exactly where the Jewish DNA came in.

I contacted my closest Jewish matches and managed to get a look at the tree of one of them, but it didn't go back very far, so I had to work back from it to add more generations. Another one didn't reply but had an unusual name, so I could figure out who their parents and grandparents were from Googling around and construct a tree. I could see that these two people had some ancestral surnames in common from the same area, but not exactly how they were connected, until I was lucky enough to find a family tree on a site called Geni which showed that one match's ancestor was a sibling of the other one's ancestor (surname Straus). I drew up a tree for the family of those siblings, and managed to work out how a few more of my DNA matches were related to them, and eventually, after being led down the wrong path for a while because Wikipedia had some wrong information about the Straus family, I managed to establish that all those matches were descended from a Straus / Uhlmann couple, and searching my matches for the surnames Straus and Uhlmann showed that I had other matches who were only related to the Uhlmann side of that couple, but I didn't find any who were only related to the Straus side. Also the Uhlmann family had lived in the town where Mutti grew up, not where her mother lived before marriage, so it looked likely that Granny's father was an Uhlmann. I looked at my closest Jewish matches on some other sites where I had uploaded my DNA, and managed to connect them to the Uhlmann family too.

Then I drew up an Uhlmann family tree and showed the lines of descent to the various DNA matches, with notes of how much shared DNA I had with each of them, so I could see whereabouts on the tree Granny's father was likely to fit, i.e. near to the lines with the most shared DNA. It turned out to be a bit more complicated than that, because two Uhlmann cousins married each other, but anyway, it turned out that their family had lived just round the corner from Mutti's family, and also that Granny had said that Mutti had not been able to marry her first choice of husband, so it all fitted together. That Uhlmann family had two sons but the elder one had emigrated to America a few years before Granny was born, so it had to be the younger one (unless the elder brother travelled back from America for a quick visit, but I haven't found a record of him returning to America from one.) So I suppose not absolutely certain but pretty much.

Hope this makes sense! Feel free to PM me with specific details if you want some help with your puzzle, Sue (or anyone else!)

Old 03-02-19, 09:13

I have been searching my surnames and found three very low matches for my mother's maiden name. Two have no information but the third has a tree with just parents, grandparents and great-grandparents, with two people matching the surname.

I had a look and the name resonated with me so I checked my tree and this person and I are 4th cousins once removed. We share 4x-great-grandparents. The person doesn't seem to know much about this ancestry so I hope he replies to my message as I have a huge amount of information on the family.