Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 27-02-19, 06:13

Default Ancestry Trees

Do I need to say more?

I'm following up on something I saw on an ancestry tree a while ago for OH's 2g grandfather, X. I haven't worked too hard on this line but got stuck on anything before what I assumed to be his arrival down under including his birth, parents, method of arrival etc.

This one tree had a certificate of one of the sons, which is very blurry but is meant to state place of birth. The blurriness does form the shape of the place the person states. I am also lacking in BDM certs having used cemetery records and BMD indexes to determine dates and parents. (Bless NSW BDM)

There are several trees that list an exact DOB for X, although no one has the cert online, nor a baptism for that matter. I can find the relevant cert on freeBMD but no one has linked to that. familysearch have no record of X or most of his siblings at all, nor ancestry or fmp baptisms.

3g grandma and pa are listed on his death certificate, albeit missing Mum's distinctive middle name. 3g grandparents marry in Devon, have a couple of kids, move to Dorset, have X and luckily I found them on the 1841 census. Dad is, helpfully, an excise officer.

By 1851 things get problematic. There are 4 children, including X, living together, no parents, no head of the house. I found Dad in debtors prison, Mum and new bub are no where to be found.

Every tree I have found shows Mum, Dad, and a few kids (no X) living together in 1851. The children do not match X's siblings. Census for this couple go up to 1901 when Mum dies, Dad a census earlier.

However no one has found, on ancestry, the poor relief request the couple made, which was denied and stated Dad's marriage, his father and his occupation and location.

Everyone has Mum emigrating in the 1850's and (bigamously, I think) marrying another man in 1855. More importantly they state she died in 1900 in Victoria but selfless being that she is, she pops back to the UK for the 1901 census, as she did every decade from 1851. There are even links to her probate in 1900. However ancestry are against me here and are missing what might be vital pages off the end of the probate which I was hoping listed any child from her original, and lawful, husband to prove she was X's mother.

X's Dad also supposedly immigrates to Australia but must decide he doesn't want his wife, her new husband and their child and he returns to the UK to live with her on the census instead.

It is a nightmare and they do not seem to realise dead women are rather unlikely to travel half way across the world nor appear on census records.

I have had a thought so hopefully I can confirm or deny the immigration of Mum and go from there.

Please feel free to add ancestry disasters you have found. I know I'm not alone.

PS: I've decided that OH's mother got her brains from her maternal side, not X's family based on these trees.
Old 27-02-19, 08:16

Where do I start?
While I know that the "they didn't move in those days" rule is bunkum, when I find someone wilfully criss-crossing the country for baptism, marriage and death, I do begin to wonder.
I have noticed that if I do draw a flaw in their research to anyone's attention, instead of demonstrating that I am wrong (It was I who incorrectly identified Queen Victoria as a washer-woman in the East End, after all - so I am fallible!) they simply don't reply.