Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > DNA Questions

Old 04-02-19, 19:57
Administrator

Yes, I wish ancestry would show those shared matches too, Nicki.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 04-02-19, 22:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethHerts View Post
The surname search is proving really useful.
I'm finding it very useful too, but it'd be a lot better if you could combine it with the location search, which doesn't work properly at the moment (e.g. if you search for Bloggs in Doncaster you'll get matches whose trees contain people called Bloggs from any place and people of any name with events in Doncaster).
Old 04-02-19, 23:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickiP View Post
I really wish Ancestry would show 5-8th cousin shared matches for 4-6th cousins.
I'm so glad you posted this. Dad has only 92 4th cousin or less matches so I have had a look at some 5th cousins and it kept saying no shared matches. So I thought these were very distant relations.
Old 04-02-19, 23:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit View Post
I'm so glad you posted this. Dad has only 92 4th cousin or less matches so I have had a look at some 5th cousins and it kept saying no shared matches. So I thought these were very distant relations.
Kit its really irritating, why they can't show them I don't know. I've 254 4th cousin or less matches, acquired 3 new ones today including one of my mother's 2nd cousins who I was aware of anyway from research.

I messaged the match who manages both hers and her father's DNA results. She's confirmed one match with some of mine on that line but I'd not noticed that our mutual match also has another line which has the same surname as her ancestor who is most likely related to mine (husband's name, link is via the wife). Put the cat amongst the pigeons a bit since she currently thinks that's the link, but its not. I've tactfully replied with some info saying that if she searches the GRO birth index she'll confirm the maiden name of her ancestor who is most likely the sibling of mine but its possible that her father has a larger match with our mutual match because its possible they share two lines. Only time will tell. Just wish that Ancestry had shown the 5-8th cousin matches as it would have made life easier in trying to confirm it. I don't think she wants to wade through all their matches to check the others but I've hinted its easier to check via Ancestry's search members directory. Hopefully she'll take the hint and check the others because if they do match the others then that has to be the mutual line. All the others share 3 x Great Grandparents with me and she and her father most likely share our 4x Great Grandparents and it would confirm my theory based on research as to where my 3x Great Grandfather went into London from in the early 1800s (and died in 1850).

On another note, I've uploaded to Gedmatch and may have a clue to the identity of my mysterious 3x German Great Grandfather as I have a match with someone in Germany whose ancestors appear to all come from that country. He died in 1837 and never naturalised so we've no idea where he came from.
Old 05-02-19, 05:23

I've not looked at Gedmatch yet. Is it expensive, or preferably free? Also are they secure? Ancestry seem to be but I've heard some other companies have dodgy practices ie 23&me. I have no idea if this is correct though.

I hope your hints are listened to and you solve your problem.

Last edited by Kit; 05-02-19 at 05:26.
Old 06-02-19, 16:35

This Leeds clustering method. It's not working for me. I only have two second cousins and one third cousin in my results. One second cousin is a known quantity. I know who she is and we definitely share great grandparents.

The other second cousin and the third cousin are unknown to me. They match with each other, but neither has any names in their trees that mean anything to me, although all my great grandparents are accounted for and there's no obvious geographical connection either.

I'm puzzled.
Old 06-02-19, 16:55
Administrator

Have you got shared matches with the other second cousin and the third cousin, AN? If so, you might be able to work out which lines of their trees are involved.

I've downloaded a free Google Chrome extension called "AncestryDNAhelper" which is currently trawling through all my DNA matches and putting them into some kind of database on my computer, and hopefully when it is finished I will be able to report back on whether it helps. I know there are also some similar (but presumably better) services that charge for use.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 07-02-19, 07:05

Is it hard to use Kate? I'd love something like this.

Also when it is finished can you tell us how long it took to run? Thanks
Old 07-02-19, 22:50

I'm using this online service, which gives you a load of free credits to start with, after which you have to pay, but it's not very expensive:

https://www.geneticaffairs.com
Old 08-02-19, 02:13

I've done the matches myself up to 4th cousins. Its the rest that need doing but there are heaps and ancestry doesn't do shared matches for them.

Just reading geneticaffairs website they only do up to 4th cousins so that wont help me.