Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > DNA Questions

Old 23-06-19, 11:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
Well, I have copies of three birth certificates where the mother named is 100% not the mother of the child. Two are half-siblings to each other (most likely) and the other one is completely unconnected. In the first two cases the named mother was far to old to be having children and in one of those cases I believe I know who the biological mother is. In the third case the named mother was already dec'd some years before the child was born. As it happens, none of these people are my biological relations. I also have a father on a birth cert who had been dead almost 20 years, but I'm guessing that's more common! Of course we only study these things where it's very obvious that something is amiss!!

I don't have any suspicious circumstances like those in my direct line, although in other branches there are some later children who might not be children of the parents in whose families in which they grew up. Of course, prior to civil registration everything gets a lot murkier!
Old 23-06-19, 11:59

I don’t know much about family history DNA. My interest has been in health issues.
I do however, have a birth cert which has the wrong name for the father. I have checked it’s the same on the original record, and it can’t be changed, but it still annoys me.
Old 23-06-19, 18:25

Another of my 2x ggf has his uncle and aunt named as his parents on his birth certificate. I only stumbled across the truth when I found his baptism. A similar sense of shock I am sure to finding such dna evidence, but would that show up if you weren't looking for it? After all, we don't know what we don't know!

OC
Old 23-06-19, 18:41

I have been suspicious about my grandfather's birth certificate. He was the youngest of a very large family, his birth registered at the very last date, and his mother - who signed the register at her rmarriage - merely made her mark as informant.

But DNA would merely introduce some unknown matches, quite possibly 4th or more remote cousins
Old 23-06-19, 19:40
Administrator

They changed "NPE" to be "Not Parent Expected" some time ago, didn't they? So it can apply to either parent, mother or father.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 26-06-19, 05:12

I've been confirming Dad's tree via DNA not very scientifically but I figure if we connect at certain point then the lines below must be correct.

One of Dad's Indian lines is a bit blurry back towards the 1800s. I know the last confirmed person but haven't looked too hard into going further. The words harem and one of 3 brothers has been floated around by descendants but I've not looked into it.

Dad has a match though which proves it is the right family at least as she does not have an Indian connection but a rather elaborate tree for the father of the 3 brothers.

So the family rumours just might have at least a grain of truth in them.

I thought NPE was Non parental event.