Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 20-04-14, 05:52

Default Searching Arthur Dean(e) saddler arrived Aust. Nov. 1895

Arthur was the brother of my paternal great grandfather, Sam Dean.
Arthur was born March qtr 1868. Census says Hoyland, registration district Barnsley (England and Wales FBMD).
I have located him on the 1871, 1881 and 1891 census. Parents are Thomas Dean (with an (e) in the 1891 census) and Sarah Evans.
My mother spoke about an Uncle of my paternal grandmother living in Australia. Arthur is the only male sibling of my gt grandfather I cannot locate.
There is an entry on Ancestry of an Arthur Dean aged 27, sadler departing London 20 September 1895. Date of birth abt 1868, Ship Austral.
There is a record of Arthur Dean, labourer arriving Sydney on the Austral 2 November 1895. I have searched Ancestry and state records - lots of Arthur Dean's but no clue to link to my Arthur.

There is a Fred Ibbotson listed below Arthur on the outgoing manifest - he is 23 and a miner. Arthur came from a mining family and a mining area. Not sure relevance of this. He becomes Fred Ibbotson labourer on the incoming manifest.
Any help appreciated. Thank you

Last edited by JALimestonePlains; 20-04-14 at 05:54. Reason: corrected a date
Old 20-04-14, 09:49
tenterfieldjulie

Hi JA,
Welcome to GF. Have you tried looking on Trove, the National Library database? Lots of Arthur Deans in the Newspapers. Julie (from NSW)
Old 20-04-14, 10:32

Hello JALimstonePlains.

I thought you were already here....lol. Welcome.

Had a quick look but can't see anything. I'll keep looking though..
Old 20-04-14, 10:50

Hello and welcome.

Have had a little look around. I wonder if this may be him making a return voyage to England in 1909.

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...9+10&ml_rpos=1
Old 20-04-14, 10:54
Administrator

JA has been a member on here for over 3 years!

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 20-04-14, 10:59

Oops!
Old 20-04-14, 20:16

I thought she had been here for a while Kite, but only looked at the number of posts. Sorry JAL.
Old 21-04-14, 01:19

Thank you for the welcome. I can understand one thinking I am new as I have not posted much. After I joined I forgot my password and having changed my email address could not get a new one - then asked Jood to help me out which she did.
My FH research has been neglected over the last 18 months, with me only dipping into it occasionally. A few brick walls which are stubborn.

Searching Trove and Ancestry and a few state records for Arthur I could not find anything to link my Arthur to the many Arthur Deans - I did wonder whether he had returned to England (the Ancestry record thank you Shona) but no trace as yet.

I searched on Fred Ibbotson yesterday and found one in 1891 census who lived in Nether Hoyland and is the right age. So my assumption that Arthur and he could be friends is a distinct possibility. I thought if I could find him in Australia he might lead me to Arthur.
Thank you all for looking. Much appreciated. I will let you know if I find anything and will keep popping in here to check on any progress. I am sorry I do not have any more information on which to go on.