Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 13-03-13, 20:49
tenterfieldjulie

I think Harriot Wood nee Russell was buried at Hackney but her parents are supposed to be buried at Wandsworth, Surrey. Thomas Frederick Bell (son of Thomas and Anna Maria) is supposed to be buried at Hackney.
I am still wondering about Edward's wife Mary Ann Owen, who her parents are? I found a baptism at Hackney but it was a bit late for her age on the Census. As her father was in the Army, it is possible that she was a bit older, but there was no indication of this on the baptism.
Old 18-03-13, 20:36
tenterfieldjulie

I thought you would all like to know that I’m very delighted to say that I’ve had contact with another Bell researcher because of this thread. Her OH is descended from Richard's sons who came out to Australia in 1875, after Richard died.

Part of what she wrote was about Charles the MP. “His house in Richmond (UK) is Grade II listed and I think most likely designed by his brother Richard who was an architect, as there is mention of him designing a mansion in Richmond. Charles was a wealthy merchant banker. Along with other family researchers we feel the family mixed with society. A number of the family had Freedom of the City of London.”

She then said about Thomas’ HAC records: “Years ago a family member obtained HAC records for Thomas. It seems he was appointed on 25 January 1809. He was a member of the 7th company, one of their duties was to attend the coronation of HM King George the Fourth in July 1821, he was posted at the north side of the platform in Palace Yard and other duties. After Thomas died his post was vacant until 1831.”

J also wrote “His obituary is available via the NLA papers in The Times Dec 1826. Unfortunately no one has been able to confirm Thomas' parents, but we won't give up.”

So from that I conclude that unless there are records now available that weren't then, Thomas' HAC records aren't going to give his parents names.. Julie
Old 18-03-13, 20:47

Thank you for the update, Julie. But let's not give up...we have search engines!
Old 18-03-13, 20:55
tenterfieldjulie

Thanks Shona .. just as well not steam driven .. running out of puff here lol Julie
Old 18-03-13, 21:22

Julie, it's really frustrating not knowing his parentage, but so pleased you have made another fruitful contact.

I do hope more information is forthcoming.
Old 19-03-13, 03:13
tenterfieldjulie

Thanks Liza, It is wonderful that so much has been found and I most grateful for everyone's help and interest.
I think that if they wish to establish for sure more about Thomas Bell's ancestors, that they will need help from a military research expert. The man I used for the McCrohons, Kevin Asplin, was amazing, he went back through all the musters etc, as civil registration didn't start until 1837, so you really need to know where to look as most of the records aren't online. I am sure he will know whether such records exist or not for Thomas. Cheers. Julie

Last edited by tenterfieldjulie; 19-03-13 at 03:27.
Old 19-03-13, 09:02

The HAC wasn't a conventional military organisation - it was set up as a guild and was involved in ceremonial duties. From what I can see, there are no muster rolls for the time in question.

I still feel that the first port of call to take the research further is to contact the HAC archives - I'm happy to write to them if you want.

All records are held by the HAC.

The following link is from AIM25 (Archives in London and the M25 area) and details the papers that are held by the company. Many of these papers weren't readily available 25 years ago, so it is possible that a fresh contact could reveal more about Thomas Bell.

http://www.aim25.ac.uk/cgi-bin/vcdf/...231&inst_id=84
Old 19-03-13, 09:23
tenterfieldjulie

Thanks Shona that would be great if you made an initial enquiry. Trying to correspond from here by snail mail can be difficult. The other researcher J. is only too happy to share what she has and she said that "Years ago a family member obtained HAC records for Thomas. It seems he was appointed on 25 January 1809. He was a member of the 7th company, one of their duties was to attend the coronation of HM King George the Fourth in July 1821, he was posted at the north side of the platform in Palace Yard and other duties. After Thomas died his post was vacant until 1831." but as you said maybe other information is available now that wasn't then. She lives in Aus too.
Kevin is very reasonable in what he charges and he gives a quote prior doing work. As with most researchers, it is a passion rather than a profession (he is still in the military). I do appreciate your interest and enthusiasm. Cheers. Julie
PS .. I had a look on family search to see if there were any Bell/Clementson marriages in the right frame for Thomas baptism. I found a Francis Bell married Ann Clementson on 14/4/1770 at Giggleswick in York, but I couldn't find a Thomas born 1776, father Francis.
Old 19-03-13, 09:33
Administrator

Not sure whether anyone has already transcribed Thomas and Anna Maria's marriage from the parish register?
ancestry PR

Thomas Bell of the Parish of St Mary Islington Bachelor and Anna Maria Russell of this Parish Spinster were Married in this Church by Licence this fourteenth day of August 1802 By me W B Champneys Curate.
This Marriage was solemnized between Us Thomas Bell, Anna Maria Russell
in the Presence of -

then I was hoping the witnesses' names might help us find Thomas's parents but they are very hard to decipher! The first one could be G Hamp, and the second one... anyone?

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 19-03-13, 10:11

I had a look, but I reckoned that G Hamp and messy squiggle were serial witnesses. The same signatures appear on the next marriage, for example.