Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 06-03-13, 19:58
maggie_4_7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
Here are Thomas Frederick Bell's Freedom of the City of London Papers from 1818.

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/Browse/...Jun+-+Oct.1253

Father is Thomas Bell, Wells St, merchant. The master is John Russell of Upper Pratt Place, Camden Town.
oooh that name Russell again
Old 06-03-13, 20:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie_4_7 View Post
oooh that name Russell again
Keeping it in the family!
Old 07-03-13, 05:47
tenterfieldjulie

Very confused with Thomas Bell.. According to the Russell tree, if it is correct - Thomas Frederick Bell was born 1804 died 1838 .. so the Freedom of the City papers can't refer to him .. I'm getting the feeling that the Bells were merchants of the city of London for quite a few generations ..
Old 07-03-13, 07:13
Administrator

1818 is the date when Thomas Frederick Bell started as an apprentice, so it will be the same one, Julie.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 07-03-13, 08:34
tenterfieldjulie

Excellent Kate.. one less mystery.
Anna Maria Bell's address in her will is Cambridge Heath and Regents Canal, both in the parish of Saint John Hackney. Sons: Thomas Frederick, Charles, John, James, Richard, Alfred, Edward, Russell, Michael; Daughters: Elizabeth Clementson, Mary and Maria. Executors of her will William Hogg and John Murray. written 6/6/1832. proved 8/12/1834.
Old 07-03-13, 09:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenterfieldjulie View Post
Excellent Kate.. one less mystery.
Anna Maria Bell's address in her will is Cambridge Heath and Regents Canal, both in the parish of Saint John Hackney. Sons: Thomas Frederick, Charles, John, James, Richard, Alfred, Edward, Russell, Michael; Daughters: Elizabeth Clementson, Mary and Maria. Executors of her will William Hogg and John Murray. written 6/6/1832. proved 8/12/1834.
So Elizabeth Clementson Bell WAS a daughter of Thomas and Anna Maria. As she was baptised in Islington, while all the others were baptised St Pancras, I had wondered about her.

She married Samuel Bayley on 2 July 1835, St Pancras Parish Chapel. Witnesses: John Bell and Mary Bell.

I wonder where the Clementson came from?
Old 07-03-13, 09:17
tenterfieldjulie

I think it could be a Bell connection!!!
Anna Maria's parents are supposedly John Russell and Elizabeth Lloyd Sandiford who married in London in 1773 .. I have seen a transcript on a public tree which says she was a minor .. and a witness is Peter Sandiford.
Old 07-03-13, 09:21
tenterfieldjulie

The will of Thomas Bell 2/5/1818 of St. Clement Danes leaves his property to his brother Joshua so we can leave him out.
Think you are right Kate about the Thomas Bell who died in 1826 Lieutenant in the Artillery .. as it says Wells Street, which keeps coming up, that is the address on the baptisms and the apprentice papers say father Thomas Bell merchant of Wells Street .. Master John Russell .. who was probably his grandfather or his uncle.
He must have had a will .. I wonder where Liza is lol

Last edited by tenterfieldjulie; 07-03-13 at 09:29.
Old 09-03-13, 14:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
Google Books has an obituary from the Gentleman's Magazine for one of Thomas's sons:
At Norfolk, Virginia, United States, Russell Bell, esq, of the firm of Hermann and Co, eighth son of the late Thomas Bell, esq, of Hackney. It is dated December but I can't work out what year! But the "of Hackney" fits with the 1826 death, and not the 1817 one.
If you look at the next page, the year is 1845.
Old 09-03-13, 19:25
tenterfieldjulie

Thanks Mary.