Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take One Grandparent

Old 22-05-16, 23:05
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary from Italy View Post
He appears on the English electoral roll for the first time in 1928, at 38 Bloemfontein Ave., Hampstead. Lilian isn't listed that year, but they're both listed at the same address the next year.

He would have been entitled to vote from age 21, I think, so if he wasn't in the armed forces, I wonder where he was?

Maybe Scottish? Or maybe born and raised abroad?
Even if you have managed to search the Electoral Rolls on Findmypast, they are not complete, so he could have been in some part of England that is not included. Ancestry only has London and a very few other places.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 22-05-16, 23:17

Yes, it was FMP I was looking at. I didn't realise they weren't complete!
Old 23-05-16, 07:01
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
Were you looking for MMN Wood, rather than Woods, Merry? I believe it should be Woods. For the children's births, I mean.

Also the public tree on ancestry links to Lilian Maud Woods' birth registered Jan-Mar 1905 Merthyr.
Yes, I was looking at the name Wood as that's what's written in the opening post. I see the marriage which you had already looked at so I didn't bother , is in the name Woods, so forget everything I said about the children and Lilian's birth reg!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 23-05-16, 07:05
Administrator

When Alec's death was registered in 1975 the informant would have been asked about his place of birth and any info they gave would have been included on the death cert.

If you think it's likely the person who registered the death would have known where he was born then you could order a copy and see what information that gives:

Deaths Mar 1975
Mack Alexander Horace dob 25Oc1901 District Bournemouth Volume number 23 Page number 404

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 23-05-16, 07:30
Administrator

I see a couple of ancestry trees have him born at Pontypridd Glamorgan. Do you know where that information came from?

Did he live in Branksome Wood Road and later Meyrick Park Crescent in Bournemouth? I lived in Branksome Wood Road in the early 70s and used to visit a house in Meyrick Park Crescent in the 70s and 80s. Small world!

Old 23-05-16, 09:35
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
1939 register:

179 Long Lane , Uxbridge U.D., Middlesex, England

Lilian Maude Mack married dob 30 Nov 1904 occ Unpaid Domestic Duties
Alexander Donald Mack married dob 25 Oct 1901 occ Builders General Foreman

Lilian's dob has been altered from 30 Nov 1908. I cannot see Alec's entry even though it has been transcribed as the image shows it to be redacted, so I don't know if 'Donald' is just a mis-transcription. The transcription suggests there are no other people in their household, but this may not be correct.
I've just looked at the 1939 register image again and this time I can see Alec's original entry but not Lilian's so goodness knows what fmp are up to! Anyway, his entry does have middle name Horace which has been mis-transcribed as Donald. It now looks as if there may be two redacted entries (ie people born after 1915) in Alec and Lilian's household, though fmp have not acknowledged this in their transcription. His entry also states he was an air raid warden.

Old 23-05-16, 09:42
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
Oh, and do you have the names of the witnesses from his marriage certificate, please?
Also, what address did Alec give on the marriage cert and what information did he give for his father, other than his name?

Old 25-09-17, 18:50

Red face Sorry for not reply before!

I had no idea everyone was being so helpful!
The witnesses for my Grandfather's and Grandmother's wedding were:
E M Butler,
A A Badclay?
Thanks!
Old 25-09-17, 19:24

Wedding Certificate:
Horace Alexander [Alec] Mack, 25, Bachelor, Carpenter & Joiner, 60 Weltje Road, Hammersmith, William Henry Mack, Shipping Agent.
Lilian Maud Woods, 21, -- 16, Victoria Place, Gilfach Gelly[i]gaer,[near Merthyr] Wales, George Henry Woods, Collier,
Witnesses: E.M Butler, A.A. R[B]a[r]dclay
No place was given on death certificate for birth.
I was always told he never went abroad and that he was brought up on the south coast somewhere with family members after his parents died, when he was about 9.

Last edited by GARDINER1; 27-09-17 at 15:22.
Old 25-09-17, 19:26

He built the house at Meyrick Crescent, Bournemouth and my Grandmother remained there after his death.