Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 25-09-21, 09:23
Administrator

Default Here's something I've never seen before.....

I have been trying to sort out someone who may or may not have changed identity in early adulthood (there's already a thread about this from a couple of years ago, but I wouldn't recommend looking at it unless you want a headache!)

I thought it would be a good idea to try and tie up all the people who might be confused for each other and then see what I had left.

I began with someone called Kate Chatterley who appears on the 1939 Register. She has no date of birth recorded, is listed as single and is living at Knowle Mental Hospital in Fareham Hants (Droxford RD).

I then saw this death reg:

Deaths Mar 1963
CHATTERLEY KATE 74 DROXFORD 6B 460

and as she was single in 1939, this birth:

Births Sep 1889 (>99%)
Chatterly Kate Reading 2c 346

and thought that seemed fine and nothing to do with my tree (which she still isn't). However, I was surprised by what I came across next.

As Kate could also be Kathleen/Catherine etc etc I thought I'd better look harder at the 1889 girl in case she died sooner and/or married etc, so first-off I looked for her in 1891 and was surprised to see that whilst she was living in Reading she was recorded as having been born in Co Tipperary!

I looked at the Irish registrations and she is there, born Thurles, Tipperary, on 11 Jul 1889. Registered by her father Charles who says the mother is his wife Kate nee Hearsey (so everything matches with the 1891 census). The interesting part is that the registration took place by declaration on 24 Aug 1889 and was registered in Ireland in Sept 1889. The reason for this seems to be that Charles was a colour sergeant in the army, so I presume the army brought him and his family back to England before they had time to register the birth of their child in person and the declaration was made at their local register office in Reading.

Surely however, Reading's registrar shouldn't have also added the birth to their own records?

CHATTERLY, KATE mmn HEARSEY
GRO Reference: 1889 S Quarter in READING Volume 02C Page 346

This isn't usual is it? I presumed it must be a mistake. I wonder what info would be given if a request was made for a copy of the Reading cert?!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 25-09-21, 09:43

Maybe they thought they had to record the birth in England as well, for nationality. Or maybe they lied, again to get settlement and nationality rights! I can't think that the registrar would include a birth in Ireland, so the birth address must be false.

OC
Old 25-09-21, 10:27
Administrator

I seem to remember that a famous actor who died in the last couple of years claimed that his birth was registered in both Ireland and England, but I don't think it was true. I forget who it was now!

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 25-09-21, 10:30
Administrator

If you have an FMP sub, apparently Kate Chatterly appears in the British Armed Forces and Overseas Births and Baptisms on there. Maybe more than one record. Or maybe the person whose Ancestry tree I was looking at, added the same link multiple times?

Old 25-09-21, 10:55
Administrator

OC, I would imagine the declaration the Irish registrar used would have arrived via the Reading registrar (though I can't be sure of course), so the oportunity to lie in Readng would then be lost.

Kate, yes there is a record in the British Armed Forces and Overseas Births on FMP (just the one!), showing Kate's birth in Templemore district in Ireland. The entry has the same ref as that for her sister b two years earlier. I've just looked at the Irish cert for sister Minnie and this birth was registered in person by the father, so no complications there!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 25-09-21, 10:58
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
I seem to remember that a famous actor who died in the last couple of years claimed that his birth was registered in both Ireland and England, but I don't think it was true. I forget who it was now!
I want to know who that was now!

Old 25-09-21, 13:22
Administrator

Peter O'Toole - I had to Google "Irish and British birth certificates" to find out who it was, and of course he died longer ago than I thought.

Old 26-09-21, 11:11
Administrator

Quote:
he died longer ago than I thought
In my experience that seems to happen a lot!

Old 27-09-21, 22:39

My great grandmother’s birth is both NSW and Qld registers as she was born in Qld while it was still part of NSW.

I have one further back who is registered in NSW three times. I’m assuming they were either a baptism or change of name to his stepfather’s. He was actually born and registered in Wales and was illegitimate.