Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take One 4xGreat-Grandparent

Old 19-10-12, 14:09

Default Mary FFFFFM

Name - Mary Stephenson
Date and place of birth - c1791 Caistor Lincolnshire
Names of parents - N/K
Date and place of baptism - N/K
Details of each of his or her marriages - James Smith 29/6/1819 Caistor
Occupation(s) - N/A
Addresses where they lived (including county if in UK) -
1841 - Marley's Yard, Louth Lincolnshire, widow
Date, place and cause of death - N/K
Date and place of burial. - N/K
Details of will / administration of their estate - N/K
Memorial inscription - N/K

Children
Ann c1820 Mary c1821, John Free c1822, Betsey c1824 Diana & Elizabeth 1827, Rebecca 1833

Last edited by Lynn the Forest Fan; 27-10-12 at 10:12.
Old 19-10-12, 14:25

Oooh - I've seen Free as a middle name in some of my Lincolnshire research.
Old 19-10-12, 14:27

I think the reason I've come across John Free Smith was when I was researching the family histories of the men named on the Barton War Memorial.
Old 19-10-12, 15:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
I think the reason I've come across John Free Smith was when I was researching the family histories of the men named on the Barton War Memorial.
The name I have in my notes is Smith Free Cammack. I wonder if this is a co-incidence or there is a link...

Here are my notes:

GEORGE FREDERICK CAMMACK
Private S/4/126196, Army Service Corps (Supply)
Died: 23 October 1915
Born in Barton-upon-Humber
Son of the late George William and Louisa Cammack, Barton-upon-Humber
Resident of York
Enlisted in York
Buried: Barton-upon-Humber

Commemorated:
Barton War Memorial – G.F. Cammack (one of the three names added later)
Trinity Methodist Church – George F. Cammack

Background
George Frederick Cammack was born in Barton in the summer of 1897 – son of George W Cammack from Nettleton and his wife Louisa (nee Hollingsworth) from Saxby. In the same year, the couple lost a son – Walter Henry Cammack.

In 1901, George (45) and Louisa (43) lived on Westfield Road with eight of their children (they had at least 12): Rose Alice (24), Emily Jane (20), Ethel Maud (12), Richard A (10), Sarah L (eight), Nora A (five), George F (three) and Elsie May (one). George Cammack senior worked as a stoker at the gas house. He had been a brickyard labourer some years previously. He died in 1907.

The family continued to live in Westfield Road following George Cammack’s death. In 1911, Louisa, 53, was a grocer. Daughters, Ethel, 22, and Lillie, 20, were assisting in the business. Arthur, 20, worked as an assurance agent. Nora, 15, was a domestic servant, while 13-year-old Fred was a butcher’s apprentice. Two younger children – Elsie, 11, and Albert, nine, were at school.

George’s mother died in 1914. His sister Nora also died in 1914.

George was 19 years and six months old when he enlisted on 23 August 1915. On his papers, he stated that he was a butcher by trade and named his sister, Mary Louisa Cammack, 13 South Parade, Blossom Street, York, as his next of kin. This was also where George lived. He was 5ft 4¾ in tall.

He never saw any action, though, because he died at Reading War Hospital on 23 October 1915, having served just 62 days. The cause of death was given as diabetes, although local news reports suggest otherwise.

On 30 October 1915, the Lincolnshire Star reported:

DEATH. – Information was received on
Saturday, of the death of Pte. F. Cam-
mack, of the A.S.C., in hospital at Read-
ing. Death is stated to be the result of
inoculation. He was only enlisted nine
weeks. The remains were brought home
for internment.

After the war, on 17 May 1919, George Cammack’s sister and next of kin – Mrs Mary Louisa Hall – provided the military with details of her deceased brother’s family:

Mother and father: Deceased

Brothers:

J G W Cammack, Westfield Road, aged 36
R A Cammack, Rotherham, aged 28
A E Cammack, Westfield Road, aged 17

Sisters:

Mrs Mary Hall, 13 South Parade, Blossom Street, York, aged 15 years
Mrs R A Smallwood, 54 Curzon Terrace, York, 43 years
Mrs F C Taylor, Westfield Road, aged 41
Mrs Lingard, Canada, 39 years
Mrs E M Gray, 64 Bootham, York, aged 30
Miss S L Cammack, 13 South Parade, Blossom Street, York, aged 26
Miss E M Cammack, Westfield Road, aged 19

In 1920, letters were sent to the Cammack home in Westfield Road regarding the disposal of George’s memorial scroll.

Additional info:
The Revd Charles Moor records in his log books: ‘Cammack, Pasture Rd, chemical works & some land. Green house. 1 boy fr workhouse lived there whom they got out.’

Joseph Cammack and his wife Charlotte appear in Barton’s census records.

Like George’s father, he came from Nettleton, so likely to be related. The couple had several children – one named Smith Free Cammack, born in 1880, also served in the war. Kelly’s 1919 Directory records Joseph Cammack, market gardener, living in Pasture Road. There is also an entry for Mrs George Cammack, market gardener, Westfield, Road.

George’s brother, Richard Arthur Cammack and his wife Beatrice had a son named Bernard, who was born in Rotherham in 1919. The family moved back to Barton when he was six weeks old. Richard worked in the Rotherham steel works in the Second World War. Bernard was a sergeant in the RAF in the Second World War.
Old 19-10-12, 15:41

John Free Smith did end up living in Barton-upon-Humber. In 1871, he was living with his large family in Tetney, working as a brick and tile maker. He was at Blyth's Brickyard in 1881 and was a foreman at Barley's Brickyard in 1891. From the birth places of his children, he moved from Louth to Enbleton to Nettleton to Tetney Lock before ending up in Barton. The trade of brickmaking tends to run in families, so I wonder if his father James was a brickmaker in Louth. Marley's Yard hints that this may be so.

Last edited by Shona; 19-10-12 at 15:41. Reason: Typo.
Old 19-10-12, 16:06

From FreeReg - John Smith, baptised 11 October 1822. Parents James and Mary Smith. Father's occupation: Bricklayer.
Old 19-10-12, 16:18

John Free Smith died Glandford reg district A/M/J 1898. Poss order the death cert in the hope that whoever registered his death knew his mother's maiden name?
Old 19-10-12, 19:35

Wow, Shona, you have been busy! John Free Smith was my ggg grandfather & I have him from the baptism you found until his death. The children I listed were from the Louth parish records, there were 2 Mary Smiths havng children baptised in Louth at that time but only one in the brick trade. As you say brickmaking ran in the family, with my gg, g grandfather and grandfather all being involved. Sadly his death certificate gives no clue to his mother's maiden name & he married in Scotland before official registration began there, so that is no help either. I have possibly traced one of his sisters in 1851 but that is all.
Old 19-10-12, 20:25

Ah yes - Agnes didn't seem like a Lincolnshire name!

The wonderfully named Smith Free Cammack must be linked to your family as he had a sister named Agnes. Smith Free and Agnes's father was Joseph Cammack born in Nettleton.

Still hunting for Mary...
Old 19-10-12, 20:45

I can't find any connection, apart from Joseph being from Nettleton and working in the brickworks in Barton, very strange!

Tags
to4g64