Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 22-07-11, 12:34
Administrator

[QUOTE=zoenel;145083 could it be that this is where the name changed from e.g. hares to hairyes at this time. and therefore could he be under william hares for birth remeber he said born thirsk parish in 1851.can anyone find a hairs birth in thirsk parish in approx 1831? or am i getting to carried away again. cenus.you have been the best help ive had so far.thanks[/QUOTE]

I still think he started life a Whorley. it's just we can't prove it at the moment!

It's driving me nuts that we can't yet find Rachel, son William and dau Sarah.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 22-07-11, 12:35
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
Wow, so his father really is supposed to be a lawyer! It has to be the same person as on the other cert.
Yes. That's another reason why I think he started out as a Whorley and was told some fanciful story about his father. To me this seems more likely than him being brought up in the familiy home of an attorney.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 22-07-11, 12:53
Administrator

It seems pretty unlikely that the legitimate son of an attorney would be an ag lab, but more possible if he was illegitimate.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 22-07-11, 13:51

on other certifacerts he has father ag labrorer,just this one attortney.unless he was adopted by the hairyes family and put down attoreny and fathers name william hairyes.thanks
Old 22-07-11, 13:54
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoenel View Post
.can anyone find a hairs birth in thirsk parish in approx 1831?
The nearest spelling in Thirsk baptism registers (IGI transcripts) is Harris and there are only two baptisms, about ten years before you need (Henry and Rebecca)

Old 22-07-11, 14:00
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoenel View Post
on other certifacerts he has father ag labrorer,just this one attortney.unless he was adopted by the hairyes family and put down attoreny and fathers name william hairyes.thanks

No, there is only one marriage cert out of four that says ag lab. For the other three, one says turner, one lawyer and one attorney. If turner should have said attorney ("What is your father's occupation?" "A turner" - I think that could easily be mistaken, esp if the groom didn't look like he was the son of an attorney!) then that is three marriage certs with the same occ (attorney, attorney and lawyer) and one with ag lab.

Old 22-07-11, 14:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
I don't remember if Thirsk is online?
No, it's in North Yorks, so it isn't included in the West Yorks database on Ancestry.
Old 22-07-11, 14:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
No, there is only one marriage cert out of four that says ag lab. For the other three, one says turner, one lawyer and one attorney. If turner should have said attorney ("What is your father's occupation?" "A turner" - I think that could easily be mistaken, esp if the groom didn't look like he was the son of an attorney!) then that is three marriage certs with the same occ (attorney, attorney and lawyer) and one with ag lab.
That's a very good point - I hadn't thought of that.

It would be extremely unusual for a lawyer's son to be a farm servant.... unless he was illegitimate, of course.

This cert certainly seems to prove that this is the same William who married the other three women, which leaves the question of why he called himself a bachelor on his second marriage, although I think we can be 99% sure that Mary Ann had already died (her death cert might confirm it, if William was the informant).
Old 22-07-11, 14:16
Administrator

If Mary was dec'd then I guess it's possible William was asked his status in such a way that he said single and they didnt press him as to whether he had actually been married before. Or they forgot to actually ask and fillled in the box with a guess?

Thirsk is on the IGI, which is better than nothing, but doesn't show any likely entries for Hairyes.

Old 22-07-11, 14:26

No, I checked Thirsk and two or three of the nearby parishes on the IGI a while ago.