Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take Four 6xGreat-Grandparents

Old 02-12-15, 08:58
tenterfieldjulie

Default John Ware, Blacksmith, Ashley Green, Buckinghamshire

Name: John Ware
Date and place of birth: C1696, possibly Sarratt, Hertfordshire.
Names of parents: possibly Johannes Ware and Maria Hill, who had married at Sarratt 12/5/1690 – they also had two daughters baptised, Susannna 23/2/1691 and Maria 28/3/1696, which could make her a twin with John, if I have the right family. The names of Susanna and Maria are repeated in John’s daughters, which also include Mary, so it appears that they are using family names.
Date and place of baptism: possibly 28/3/1696 Church of Holy Cross, Sarratt, Herts
Marriage: 13th December, 1720 to Elizabeth Waterton at Chesham, Buckinghamshire
Address: Ashley Green, Chesham, Buckinghamshire
Date, place and cause of death: 2nd May, 1770
Date and place of burial: Ashley Green, Chesham, Buckinghamshire, England.
Will: John Ware, Ashley Green, Chesham, Buckinghamshire, Blacksmith:
beloved wife, Elizabeth Ware, bequests incl. property etc etc in John’s Wood, Chesham;
property etc to my eldest daughter, Sarah Ware;
property etc to my daughters – Elizabeth (46), Mary (41), Maria (36) & Susannah (32);
Property etc to my grandson, Richard Ware, eldest son, of my late son, John Ware, deceased (who was my ancestor);
Will dated 2nd April, 1770;
Sarah Ware spinster Executrix;
Witnesses John Watterton, John Nash, Thos Burnham.
(Apart from Sarah, the other four daughters are not given surnames – can we presume by this that they are married or not? I have included the 4 daughters ages they weren't in the will)
Memorial inscription: Unknown
Children: All listed in Will, except deceased baby. He also listed eldest son of his deceased son John, yeah! Baptisms of first four at Ashley Green, not sure whether Oakum Picker found them at Bucks RO, or whether they are on a web site.
Sarah 1722, Elizabeth 1724, John 1726-1767, Mary 1729, female child 1731-1732, Maria 1734, Susannah 1738.
Old 02-12-15, 09:01
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenterfieldjulie View Post
(Apart from Sarah, the other four daughters are not given surnames – can we presume by this that they are married or not? I have included the 4
I don't think you can assume anything from it.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 02-12-15, 09:06
tenterfieldjulie

What was the usual practice Kate? Did a person usually put their married name. Some of my Kent wills they said wife of and named husband.
Old 02-12-15, 10:54

Julie, just so you know, I think Thos Burnham might have been a solicitor (or he could also be a friend). I have the Burnhams (in my tree and many of them were attorneys.
Old 02-12-15, 12:43
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenterfieldjulie View Post
What was the usual practice Kate? Did a person usually put their married name. Some of my Kent wills they said wife of and named husband.
Yes, it would usually give their surname, or say "wife of" or maybe "widow of", but they would often put the surname even if the daughter wasn't married, so I don't think we can assume they weren't married because no surnames were given.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update

Tags
tf6g48