Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > DNA Questions

Old 17-07-23, 14:36

Default Updating a Tree on Ancestry for DNA Purposes Only - Advice Needed

I have a tree that I uploaded to Ancestry nearly three years ago for DNA matches only. The tree is private and not kept up to date via Ancestry. My "proper" tree is on my laptop where I use different software to store it and update it regularly. I now have lots more detail, and people, on my "proper" tree and have undertaken much work using DNA matches etc to find this information.

Does anyone know what would happen to all the DNA matches, groups and comments I have noted against my matches if I delete the original tree and upload an updated version? I would give the new tree on Ancestry the same name as the original one. Would I lose all the information I have noted on my list matches and groups?

Has anyone else done this?

Any advice is appreciated.

Pat
Old 17-07-23, 14:48

Because other people do that from time to time, I have colour coded all my dna matches, so I can pull up a list.

Just because a tree does not exist doesn't mean the matches disappear, simply that Thrulines is no longer of any use. And Thrulines can be restored fairly quickly.
Old 17-07-23, 15:31

Hi Phoenix

Thank you for that reply. I colour code my matches in a custom group according to which branch or twig of my tree they match. These are usually from Common Ancestor matches but some are from "Shared matches" that match with someone in a common ancestor group, but the tree does not have a common ancestor match noted by Ancestry. I was afraid I would lose all those I have marked but not yet investigated.
It makes sense now that you have said so, as my DNA is still there although the original tree is not.

Thank you

Pat
Old 17-07-23, 18:34
Administrator

If you have actually added a DNA match to your tree and connected the person on your tree to the same person in your list of DNA matches (so that when you view the DNA match there is a button which says "View in tree"), if you delete your tree and make a new one, the DNA match connection to the tree will be lost.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 18-07-23, 15:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
If you have actually added a DNA match to your tree and connected the person on your tree to the same person in your list of DNA matches (so that when you view the DNA match there is a button which says "View in tree"), if you delete your tree and make a new one, the DNA match connection to the tree will be lost.
Thank you kiterunner.

I have never done this as I didn't know you could!

Now I know what the little DNA icons are that some people have on their trees. Do you know if there is any documentation on Ancestry, or elsewhere, that gives instructions on how this all works? I have had a root around but do not find it easy to find what I would like to know on that site. Have watched some videos on there that looked promising but ended up none the wiser.

Pat
Old 18-07-23, 15:56
Administrator

If you see little DNA icons on people's trees, it doesn't mean that they have attached a DNA match to their tree - that is not made visible to other people. It will just mean that they attached an image for whatever reason.

I can't find info on Ancestry about how to connect a DNA match to your tree but here is a blog post about it (you need to scroll down a bit because it does FamilyTreeDNA first):
https://www.yourdnaguide.com/ydgblog...o-family-trees

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 18-07-23, 18:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
If you see little DNA icons on people's trees, it doesn't mean that they have attached a DNA match to their tree - that is not made visible to other people. It will just mean that they attached an image for whatever reason.

I can't find info on Ancestry about how to connect a DNA match to your tree but here is a blog post about it (you need to scroll down a bit because it does FamilyTreeDNA first):
https://www.yourdnaguide.com/ydgblog...o-family-trees
That link is really helpful. I have saved it so that I can refer back to it again when needed.

Thank you again.

Pat