Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 03-03-12, 08:51
Muggins in Sussex

Default Double weddings

Unless I have gone wrong again , I have 2 weddings:

Beatrice Ellwood m. Frank Webb

Katie Ellwood m Wilfred J Woolrich

Both weddings are in March 1914 in Salford with the same Vol and page numbers (Vol 8d page 128). Katie was Beatrice's sister.

Could it have been a double wedding - did double weddings take place then?

Would I be able to tell this if I had the certs?

Thanks
Old 03-03-12, 09:11

My great great grandfather & his sister married their spouses on the same day in 1892, i've always assumed it was a double wedding Joan, so if it happened in 1892 then it happened in 1914 too. But just by having the same page numbers doesn't mean the Ellwood sisters married the same day, they could of married a few days apart or a few weeks apart. I can't imagine a church in Salford not being busy so I doubt the latter would apply in this case.
Old 03-03-12, 09:24
Muggins in Sussex

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
My great great grandfather & his sister married their spouses on the same day in 1892, i've always assumed it was a double wedding Joan, so if it happened in 1892 then it happened in 1914 too. But just by having the same page numbers doesn't mean the Ellwood sisters married the same day, they could of married a few days apart or a few weeks apart. I can't imagine a church in Salford not being busy so I doubt the latter would apply in this case.
Thanks Jay

I had wondered this because it might be quite interesting if the two sisters were very close to one another - but then, even if it were a double wedding, then I presume it could have been simply to save money
Old 03-03-12, 09:32

According to Lancs BMD, both marriages took place at the same venue, Salford St Luke.
Beatrice is indexed as Ellwood and Katie as Elwood.
The actual date would appear on the certificate.

I have what appear to have been two double weddings in the same family, in the early 1800's (two sets of sisters.) Each pair of girls were married in their village church on the same day, and the grooms each acted as a witness for the other pair. Father of the bride was the other witness in each case.

Jay
Old 03-03-12, 09:34

Perhaps Beatrice's wedding was already planned and then Mr Woolrich was to be home on leave, so they decided to make it a double ceremony??

Jay
Old 03-03-12, 09:54
Administrator

Yes, they certainly had double weddings long before then; I've got a few in my tree.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 03-03-12, 10:05

I have a few double weddings too - it not only saved money, it saved relatives having to make the journey twice and possibly have two lots of time off work in the days when a day not working meant a day's pay lost.

OC
Old 03-03-12, 10:17

My grandma and her sister had a double wedding. I had one cert but not the other but found a notice in the paper and then found a wedding photo of the 4 of them.
Old 03-03-12, 11:00
Muggins in Sussex

Many thanks everyone - it does look quite possible then

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
According to Lancs BMD, both marriages took place at the same venue, Salford St Luke.
Beatrice is indexed as Ellwood and Katie as Elwood.
The actual date would appear on the certificate.

Jay
Thank you Jay I know someone who will be very interested in that! - I am, too of course
Old 03-03-12, 11:38
Administrator

What do you mean by a double wedding though? One after the other or both brides squeezing up the aisle at the same time like in the BBC adaptation of Pride and Prejudice? I don't know how you could tell without being there?

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010