Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take One Great-Grandparent

Old 05-01-10, 13:46
Administrator

Originally enlisted in South Lancs Regiment 28th Oct 1890

Transferred to army reserve 3rd Dec 1898

Rejoined 10th Aug 1899

Discharged 10th Nov 1902

Rejoined 20th Aug 1914

Still serving 15th July 1919

Total service 16 years 92 days

Some of the above was in 1st Gunner Battalion, The Cheshire Regiment, but not sure when he changed over (probably 1914)? The dates explain him being missing on the two censuses! He applied for a pension after WW1.

When he was discharged 10th Sept 1919 (last posting in Gibraltar) his address was 26 Shakespeare Street, but I'm not sure if it says Garston or somewhere else? is/was there a Shakespeare St in Garston? It's on page 10866 of 41925 under Den(n)is McNamara if anyone wants to have a look......(sorry, I don't want to backtrack to see what spelling he was under.....he signs his name Denis, but some of the pen pushers prefer Dennis!)

His claim for a pension was for varicose veins, but it was rejected. He says he is married in 1919 but the wife and children bit of the form are blank.

A different page detailing his army discharge has a different address at the same date of 10th Sept 1919 - 2 McCauley St Edge Hill Liverpool, so that's a bit confusing! lol

19th Dec 1922 he is at 21 Hughes St Garston. Cheshire Regiment no 29305 issued British War Medal and Victory Medal.

He was a lance corporal in 1902 but reverted to private in 1914 and for the duration of WW1.

Nope - he was acting corporal in Jan 1919.

When he wrote the letter asking about a modified pension in 1919, he was living at 2 Macaulay St Edge Hill, so different spelling to above.

Ah, says he married a spinster named Zipporah Williamson 17th April 1911 (that's after the census!) at St Nicholas Liverpool.

Children,

Denis 11th June 1906 West Derby
Veronica 15th Oct 1909 West Derby
Margaret 26th Sept 1912 West Derby

His details in 1914:

height 5'9"
weight 151 lbs
eyes and hair grey
Religious denomination Roman Catholic

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 05-01-10, 13:50
Administrator

I can't see any sign of a birth reg for the last child Margaret. Should have mmn Williamson.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 05-01-10, 13:54
Administrator

1915 Zipporah was living at 20 or 28 (probably 28?) Otway St Garston.

St Nicholas is C of E isn't it? So Denis married 'out' as it were, as he was RC.

Old 05-01-10, 14:06
Administrator

So.......

did Zipporah really say she was a spinster in 1911?

was her first marriage legal?

what happened to Robert Walker?

did she and her daughter, Martha, not keep in touch?

Questions, questions...... lol

Old 05-01-10, 16:39
Administrator

This is probably Denis's death - don't know why I missed it before:

Name: Denis McNamara
Death Registration: 1951 Q1
Age at death (estimated): 77
Registration district: Liverpool South
County: Lancashire
Volume: 10d
Page: 1063

Old 05-01-10, 16:48
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
When he was discharged 10th Sept 1919 (last posting in Gibraltar) his address was 26 Shakespeare Street, but I'm not sure if it says Garston or somewhere else? is/was there a Shakespeare St in Garston? It's on page 10866 of 41925 under Den(n)is McNamara if anyone wants to have a look

Yes, it says Garston.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 05-01-10, 18:48
Administrator

Thanks Kate

Old 06-01-10, 06:32

Quote:
Is their dau Martha your ancestor? I can see her in 1911 but not either of her parents. Have tried Robert with all his different places of birth (!) and also with his occs of hairdresser and barber, but can't find him. Do you know when he died, or is it possible they emigrated? I can't find her death via Ancestry's supposedly fully transcribed records, nor a re-marriage.
sorry about the delay but we have no phoneline and are using a dongle...don`t know whether it`s the weather but we`ve been having connection problems...YES Merry ,,,Martha was my nan....allan
Old 06-01-10, 06:51

Having now read all the replies I am flabbergasted Merry....It makes me feel so inadequate...I`ll never be good at this...the one thing I am a little upset about is she died in 1958....I was 7....and I can`t remember her...heard loads and loads about her...and because of the Zipporah name, you obviously remember that name....thank you very very much Merry...Sakespeare st / Hughes St / Otway St are all "under the bridge "streets in Garston...
Martha lived in Clarence Grove OFF Otway St when she married Daniel Oakes..so they were obviously close....my nan Martha died a year before I was born in 1950 so my dad lost his mum before his nan....
NEVER heard of the Mc Namara family ...and don`t know of any in Garston...so My dad was born in 1926 , his elder brother in 1924...so Martha would have had step siblings aged 18 15 and twelve at the time....sorry Merry , but I have to go back to my tree...my dads cousin was named BENTHAM and I have never never found the connection...maybe its thru the Mc Namara line....back soon and thank you so much...you`re a star....allan

Last edited by garstonite; 06-01-10 at 07:01.
Old 06-01-10, 07:00

Quote:
So.......

did Zipporah really say she was a spinster in 1911?

was her first marriage legal?

what happened to Robert Walker?

did she and her daughter, Martha, not keep in touch?

Questions, questions...... lol
not very good at this...could the Zipporah who married Robert Walker have been Charlottes sister Zipporah b 1867 and I have the wrong Zipporah as my nan ???......I`m a little confused here....or is that talking silly ?...allan

Tags
togg7