Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 08-09-13, 14:59

Default I'm exhausted

But very chuffed. I started tracing my mum's paternal tree 25 years or so ago and because they'd pretty much stayed in Berkshire, where I grew up, I was able to trace the line back to the early C18th with ease. I couldn't find a baptism for my seven x great grandfather or an apprentice record or mention of him in a will although I gathered a lot of info about other people with the surname, common in that area.

I thought I'd pretty much done what I could do with the family in C18th Berks but I've got a sub with the genealogist at the moment which includes access to PCC wills. I came across a will from 1780 in the area and the fellow only turns out to be a presumably younger brother of my 7x great grandfather and he names - over several now transcribed pages - three other deceased brothers (whose families I have notes on), two sisters (who both left wills!), twenty nephews and nieces and even some great nephews and nieces. I've now found an apprentice record for one of the brothers which names the widowed mother so I have so much more work to do, including a trip or two back to Berks RO.

My mum and my OH have been informed of my joy but was a tad underwhelmed as they're not genealogically minded so had to share on here
Old 08-09-13, 15:15

I'm really pleased for you, Asa! It's a lovely feeling when you have a breakthrough like that.

Like yours, my family are not terribly interested, but at least you know everyone here will understand

Last edited by Lindsay; 08-09-13 at 15:46.
Old 08-09-13, 15:37

I'm chuffed for you, David. I think a Genealogist's sub is the way to go for me too. I'm hoping it might knock down some brick walls.

It's so satisfying to have breadth across a generation - not just your ancestor but also the siblings and spouses, plus any children. Of course, I know you are a great fan of transcribing wills, as I am, so I expect you have been busy there.
Old 08-09-13, 15:57

Lindsay, it's wonderful for a bit til we start getting frustrated about the previous generation

I am really starting to enjoy transcribing now, Elizabeth and have found some new words today I never knew of - behoof, distrain and defray (I might be showing my ignorance here!). I have a few wills on the Oxfordshire site now which Dave sorts out for me

I'd recommend the genealogist, even though some of the Non Con records are on Ancestry now.
Old 08-09-13, 17:04

I must have over 12 wills on the Oxfordshire site, and I find Dave Beames very useful. I've still got a fair few to submit.
Old 08-09-13, 20:49

Asa
Before I start writing down loads of information, did you know that William Williamson was married for the first time in 1781 and his wife died just before he married Elizabeth Cole?
I love transcription work, I did a lot on the manor court rolls for Chalgrave, problem was most of it was in Latin and that is something I never learnt at scholol. It took me hours using books etc.
Regards
Mary
Old 09-09-13, 06:42

Hi Mary, yes I did - he married firstly Sarah Beal and had a son.
Old 09-09-13, 17:11

Asa

I'm chuffed for you. It's lovely to make a breakthrough!

Nell
Brewer, Broad, Eplett & Pope in Cornwall
Smoothy & Willsher/Wiltshire in Essex & Surrey
Emms, Mealing + variants, Purvey & Williams in Gloucestershire
Barnes, Dunt, Gray, Massingham, Saul/Seals/Sales in Norfolk
Matthews & Nash in Warwickshire
Old 09-09-13, 19:53

Asa
Does that mean that you know the details from the marriage licence and the fact that it states he comes from Lidlington?
Regards
Mary
Old 09-09-13, 20:44

Oh no, no details! That would be great, Mary - thank you.