Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 30-09-12, 19:37

'Granfer' - the crofter - also was a carrier for a while. Before the shooting season got underway, servants of both host and guests were sent ahead with all the luggage, guns, etc. Carriers were in great demand when the steamers docked. A bit like a midern day taxi rank at a station. The family feel this is how Granfer must have met his future wife. The only time he left Scotland was when he married in the West Country.

Granfer was once 'done' for going through a village at what was estimated to be 'about 20mph'. Afterwards, he placed an advert in the local newspaper which read: 'Guaranteed - by law - to be the fastest service in the west. Great-granny fell for a boy racer!
Old 30-09-12, 21:36

I have found generally that the poorer families who had just one servant, usually employed a relative! Thjis benefitted everyone I think - the girl would be housed and fed and get a bit of pocket money, which she wouldn't have done at home, and she would be theoretically treated reasonably well as she was a relative.

I have also found that these "relatives" often were four or five generations apart and I am constantly amazed at how they must have kept in touch down the years.

OC
Old 01-10-12, 09:59

"By the time of the 1891 census, great-granny was still single and working as a housemaid in Sussex. She was employed by the Christy family - famous for bringing the 'Turkish towel' to Britain. I hope the housemaids got to use the lovely, fluffy towels."

I've only just really taken in what you say here Shona; were they the same Christy family who own Glyndbourne?

My father was in the building trade in the 20s and 30s and he worked on the building of the opera house at Glyndbourne.
Old 01-10-12, 15:08

Generations of my father's family worked for the Inigo Jones family here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ke...oss_valley.jpg. The place is famous for having the first ever flushing toilet. My great grandfather started his working life as a groom and I think he must have enjoyed riding around the estate.

Another great grandmother was orphaned young and trained as a governess as she needed a job with a home. I have just been catching up with the first series of Downton Abbey and it all looks more enjoyable than a factory job.

Last edited by anne fraser; 01-10-12 at 15:19.
Old 01-10-12, 17:17

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann from Sussex View Post
"By the time of the 1891 census, great-granny was still single and working as a housemaid in Sussex. She was employed by the Christy family - famous for bringing the 'Turkish towel' to Britain. I hope the housemaids got to use the lovely, fluffy towels."

I've only just really taken in what you say here Shona; were they the same Christy family who own Glyndbourne?

My father was in the building trade in the 20s and 30s and he worked on the building of the opera house at Glyndbourne.
Had a look and can't connect these two families
Old 04-10-12, 14:20

I thought I'd watched it. Just looked on iplayer and I'd seen the first 15 minutes or so and then must have gone to sleep lol. Caught up now and it was fascinating.

Next week's episode will be in line with a book I'm reading about servants of the Edwardian era.
Old 04-10-12, 14:39

We haven't watched it yet, OH recorded it. He said a couple of nights ago shall we watch it but I was too tired. Didn't realise it was a series.
Old 08-10-12, 10:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret in Burton View Post
We haven't watched it yet, OH recorded it. He said a couple of nights ago shall we watch it but I was too tired. Didn't realise it was a series.
Three episodes, I think.
Old 08-10-12, 12:25

I found the second episode quite good as well. One of the care homes where I work was once a mission house which took in "morally defective" girls who did the laundry for a local hospital. The old drying shed is now used as a smoking area.
Old 08-10-12, 12:26
Administrator

I preferred the second episode, but I'm not sure why!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010