Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History News and Information

Old 28-11-17, 18:59
Administrator

Default Findmypast subscription levels

I can't see an actual announcement on their website, their blog, or their Facebook page, but apparently they have sent out emails announcing their new subscriptions. I haven't had an email. Perhaps someone who has had one could copy it onto this thread, please? I understand that the gist of it is that new / lapsed subscribers taking out a new Britain subscription will get Irish records included but not newspapers, and (some, not the Starter) monthly subscriptions will now include the 1939 Register. People who have autorenew switched on will continue to have the same access as they do now when their subs are renewed.

I did manage to find a link to the FAQ's about the new subs:
https://www.findmypast.co.uk/help/se...ewsubspackages

There are three types of sub for the UK site in the new scheme: Starter, Plus and Pro. Starter (£8.95 per month or £72 for a year) is British and Irish BMD's, censuses, and the family tree builder; Plus (£12.95 per month or £120 for a year) includes the family tree builder, all (I think) British and Irish records apart from newspapers, and does include the 1939 Register even in monthly subs. Pro (£15.95 per month or £156 for a year) includes everything in the Plus sub, plus newspapers and the US, Canadian, Australian and NZ records, plus any other countries they have.

I haven't checked whether they are changing Irish, Australian, and US subs yet. Maybe not and that's why I didn't get an email? (Since they decided for reasons best known to themselves that I'm in Australia.)

If you log out of FMP, you should be able to see a comparison of what's included in the different subs on this link:
https://www.findmypast.co.uk/subscribe

And don't forget, if you have an existing sub, it will not change at renewal, unless you have auto-renewal turned off.

It's worth reading Chris Paton's blog entry, especially the comment about the Starter sub:
http://britishgenes.blogspot.co.uk/2...scription.html

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 28-11-17, 19:22
Administrator

For comparison (and they all include the family tree builder):
Findmypast Ireland - Ireland sub is 9.95 Euros per month or 114.50 Euros per year, Irish records only (including Irish newspapers). World sub is 14.95 Euros per month or 179.50 Euros per year, but according to the information on their website, their monthly world sub doesn't include the 1939 Register.

Findmypast Australia - Australia sub is 9.95 dollars per month or 114.50 dollars per year, Australian and NZ records only. World sub is 19.95 dollars per month or 239.50 dollars per year, and again, they say the 1939 Register is not included in the monthly world sub.

Findmypast US - Starter sub is 9.95 dollars per month or 34.95 dollars per year (apparently, at the moment - don't know how long that offer will last). Includes US and Canada records, UK and Ireland censuses, and US newspapers. Premium sub is 19.95 dollars per month or 239.50 dollars per year, and includes US, Canada, British and Irish records, US, British and Irish newspapers, (but apparently not Australian and NZ records? is that right?) with the 1939 Register being excluded from the monthly sub.

Very confusing!

Old 28-11-17, 19:25
Administrator

So, considering that you can find most of the British (i.e. English and Welsh) BMD's on FreeBMD, and the Irish records free elsewhere, if you want the British Starter sub (i.e. basically the censuses), it looks as though right now you would be best to take out the annual Starter sub on the US site, while they have that low price. Unless I've overlooked something!

Old 28-11-17, 22:02
Administrator

Also, if you want a UK Pro sub, it looks as though the Australian annual world sub is much better value.

Old 29-11-17, 14:30
Administrator

So if you have 1939 Register images that you want to view, you could take out a monthly Plus sub and cancel before the first renewal, thus paying £12.95 to view them all. Compare with 60 credits per image on pay as you go, and credits currently cost £8.95 for 60 credits or £24.95 for 300 credits.

Old 11-07-18, 09:05
Administrator

At the moment, it looks as though the Australian world sub is the only monthly one which includes the British and Irish newspapers (but not the 1939 Register), so take that into account if you are thinking of subscribing for a month.