Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 16-12-17, 11:33
Administrator

Oh, just realised that the Cavan William is 22 on the 1901 census, so he would have been born about 1878-1879. I don't think all Irish births were registered at that time, so maybe he isn't to be found.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 16-12-17, 12:39
Joy Dean

Oh I do hope his birth was registered and I do hope that he was the one in the WW1 site, and I do hope he is the one in the death registration I saw.

That James, widower, who married Mary, spinster, I think has to be a brother to my Philip, who was a tailor, and to my Susan (my great-great-grandmother) because their father is William, a tailor, too.
Old 16-12-17, 13:08
Administrator

I would have thought the WW1 soldier and the Chelsea death were unlikely to be the same person as each other, because the passenger list has William McAlarney, private in the Royal Fusiliers, age 25, in 1923, and the 1931 Chelsea death is age 46. So I thought the one on the passenger list was probably the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers one. Who would be too young to be the William from Cavan.

The age of the Chelsea death one fits with Philip's son, doesn't it? Or is he ruled out?

Old 16-12-17, 17:34
Joy Dean

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
I would have thought the WW1 soldier and the Chelsea death were unlikely to be the same person as each other, because the passenger list has William McAlarney, private in the Royal Fusiliers, age 25, in 1923, and the 1931 Chelsea death is age 46. So I thought the one on the passenger list was probably the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers one. Who would be too young to be the William from Cavan.

The age of the Chelsea death one fits with Philip's son, doesn't it? Or is he ruled out?
Thank you. Was his name not crossed through on the passenger list? All names were ticked except his and one other person whose names were crossed through.
Ages did seem to vary.
Old 16-12-17, 17:36
Administrator

Yes, his name was crossed through on the passenger list. Probably means he didn't actually make the voyage.

Old 16-12-17, 17:50
Joy Dean

Quote:

Philip's son was born in 1885; he went to America, and he is in the Navy in the USA 1910 census; I must look at him again.

Last edited by Joy Dean; 16-12-17 at 18:08.
Old 16-12-17, 18:30
Administrator

The National Archives of Ireland has a file titled: Private William McAlarney, Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers: desertion. Dated Sep 1923-Nov 1923.
http://www.nationalarchives.ie/search-the-archives/

Old 16-12-17, 18:46
Joy Dean

Quote:
The National Archives of Ireland has a file titled: Private William McAlarney, Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers: desertion. Dated Sep 1923-Nov 1923.
http://www.nationalarchives.ie/search-the-archives/
Oh well done for finding that, thank you.
It won't let me open it. I'll try again.

Anyway, so there are probably three Williams then:- the soldier, Philip's son (who may or may not have died in London) and James's son in Cavan.
Old 16-12-17, 18:51
Administrator

Looks like it, yes.

Sorry my link doesn't work. It seems you will have to search for Mcalarney on their site and then the details of the file should come up (ref no is TSCH/3/S3289).

Here is info on how to order a copy of a file:
http://www.nationalarchives.ie/servi...s-of-archives/

Old 16-12-17, 19:27
Joy Dean

Quote:
Looks like it, yes.

Sorry my link doesn't work. It seems you will have to search for Mcalarney on their site and then the details of the file should come up (ref no is TSCH/3/S3289).

Here is info on how to order a copy of a file:
http://www.nationalarchives.ie/servi...s-of-archives/

Thank you. I am having a little difficulty in working out how much it would cost; once I have done that, then it will be working out cost viability, and whether to ask a researcher in Dublin to obtain it for me from the National Archives.

Last edited by Joy Dean; 16-12-17 at 20:08.