Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 01-03-15, 13:20

Default Manchester cholera deaths on FMP

Has anyone looked at these?

I looked for family names, but there were none, but I have been reading some of the case histories. The squalor these poor people lived in breaks your heart.
Old 01-03-15, 17:58

Just had a look - none of mine seem to be listed either, but the records are very interesting.
Old 01-03-15, 18:08

What years do these cover, please?

OC
Old 01-03-15, 18:09

I find anything relating to deaths from cholera very interesting as OH's 2x-great-grandfather Charles Lamb died in 1832 in London from cholera. He was a gunsmith in Whitby and had travelled by ship to London and died a few days after. His death is chronicled in all its dreadful detail.

Then, in the 1854, my 3x-great-grandparents, who had lived in Islington, both died in Bayswater and Knightsbridge resepctively, from cholera. Both were cared for by their children.
Old 01-03-15, 18:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olde Crone View Post
What years do these cover, please?

OC

Here's the information, OC:

Lancashire, Manchester Cholera Victims 1832

Were your ancestors caught up in the first great cholera outbreak to hit Britain in 1832? Search the cases collected by Manchester doctor Henry Gaulter MD, who was trying to find out what was causing the disease that swept through much of the world that year. Gaulter took detailed notes of a representative sample of cases, and through these you could find out when your ancestor contracted the illness, whether they survived and where they lived. Gaulter also noted what lifestyle factors might have made his subjects more susceptible to the disease – giving a fascinating insight into how your ancestors were living.
Old 01-03-15, 19:50

Mrs Gaskell wrote in her novel "Mary Barton" about the awful living conditions of many Manchester people and was told she was exaggerating. As a minister's wife who visited the poor she had a very good idea of how desperate things were.
Brewer, Broad, Eplett & Pope in Cornwall
Smoothy & Willsher/Wiltshire in Essex & Surrey
Emms, Mealing + variants, Purvey & Williams in Gloucestershire
Barnes, Dunt, Gray, Massingham, Saul/Seals/Sales in Norfolk
Matthews & Nash in Warwickshire
Old 01-03-15, 21:33

One branch of my tree moved from rural Cheshire to the centre of Manchester in the mid 1850s and almost every one of them died in the next 20 years. This followed centuries of rude health, huge surviving families and almost everyone dying of old age. The minute they reached Manchester, they all caught TB.

OC
Old 02-03-15, 07:21

My Norfolk lot suffered a similar fate moving up to the North East, OC. The housing would have been no more shoddy than at home, but far more closely packed. One or two families came back to Norfolk, but I assume that no matter how awful conditions were in the towns, the prospects were better than in the country.
Old 04-03-15, 05:50

I was sad to find my 'no longer' missing Agatha died of cholera in Algiers just a few months after she remarried. It seemed such a waste, but she did cram so much into her short life..

Twenty-seven years and nine days and she lost her mother, lost her father, saw her mother's will overturned and lost her money, married, had six children, divorced, remarried, died.