Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > DNA Questions

Old 04-11-23, 06:28

Default Two step verification

Ancestry is introducing this for DNA. I manage DNA for two deceased relatives. Email addresses have been cancelled so I can't pretend to be them. Does this mean we will lose access to such accounts?
To protect their identity they did not use their real names.
Old 04-11-23, 07:52

Can't you go around the email, Phoenix? I've just gone into Ancestry and set it up for my own account. They gave me a choice of email or phone. I chose phone. (Must be a mobile phone so that it can receive texts.) They sent me a code, I entered it, and voilĂ .

EDIT:
Also, I'm not entirely certain it's actually required. Poking around my Account Settings, it would appear I can turn 2FA on or off, so maybe you can just ignore it. Personally I use the two-factor feature anywhere I can. It's far safer.

Janet (Niagara)

Last edited by Janet; 04-11-23 at 07:57.
Old 04-11-23, 09:24

I manage husbands and son's dna's on my paid ancestry subscription - they don't have a paid sub so I rarely go into their accounts.

So do I do it for my account or both of theirs.

OH had huge problems yesterday trying to change phone number on a government site - it used phone authentication but our phone rejects unknown numbers - even when we changed to allow it - it still refused to connect. It then rejected the password but eventually after hours it worked and he changed the phone number.
Old 04-11-23, 12:08
Administrator

I think it will just be used for when you log into your own account, Phoenix, so if you are the manager of those DNA tests and access them from your own account it shouldn't cause any problems.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 04-11-23, 12:11
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBee View Post
I manage husbands and son's dna's on my paid ancestry subscription - they don't have a paid sub so I rarely go into their accounts.

So do I do it for my account or both of theirs.

OH had huge problems yesterday trying to change phone number on a government site - it used phone authentication but our phone rejects unknown numbers - even when we changed to allow it - it still refused to connect. It then rejected the password but eventually after hours it worked and he changed the phone number.
Someone I know has 2FA for their taxes and they have changed phones (though they still have the same number) and no longer has access to the old phone, and when they tried to log in to do their taxes last year it was just impossible because there was no way to get in and if they phoned them up they were just held in a queue for hours. Luckily they had been sent a letter saying they didn't need to submit a tax return so they just gave up in the end. So I am wary of 2FA.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 04-11-23, 17:24

After happily and easily buying premium bonds online for years, they suddenly rejected my browser (which I have tried and failed to change: yet another story). I went to the library and they assured me it was safe to use my debit card on their computers. I tried to access my account but it now does 2FA - to my home phone! Useless in the library of course and guess what, you need 2FA to change to a mobile number - how pleased will they be in the library when my phone rings not once but twice. I gave up.

OC
Old 04-11-23, 19:31

You should be able to download a different browser to your home computer or phone with no trouble. What problem did you have?
Old 04-11-23, 20:36

Mary,

I use a kindle at home and it just will not allow a download of a different browser - seems to be a common problem with kindle. I am thinking of upgrading to a laptop, lol, I really don't have room for a computer in this flat.

OC
Old 04-11-23, 20:57

Ah, what a nuisance!
Old 08-11-23, 05:54

the change is due to some other DNA companies being hacked. While it might be annoying, it is to protect your privacy.