Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 09-11-18, 08:37

Default Who can read Latin?

John Drake

This is a will for John Drake, probate date 2 Dec 1637 according to ancestry.

Could someone who can read Latin please tell me who is named in the will, the relationship if mentioned and the name of any property specified. If there is anything else interesting and you have time could you please let me know that too.

Edit: If you like a challenge have a look at George Drake's will of 13-11-1627. I think the first page is in English but the second page isn't. If it is it is the worst writing ever.
George Drake

Last edited by Kit; 09-11-18 at 08:50.
Old 09-11-18, 10:37

I think I read, from the link you posted, that John Drake is of 'Littleham' in Devon. There is a Will (in English) for John Drake of Littleham here with probate date 11 Sep 1637 - https://www.ancestry.com/interactive...cklabel=Return.
Regards
Old 09-11-18, 11:30

Anything that ends Lecta.... is a sentence.

The English version is the original will. This has been disputed, and the sentence is the opinion of the courts as to who gets the loot!
Old 10-11-18, 07:26

thank you. I wonder why I couldn't find the english version?
Old 10-11-18, 08:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
Anything that ends Lecta.... is a sentence.

The English version is the original will. This has been disputed, and the sentence is the opinion of the courts as to who gets the loot!
I struggled to get through the English version of the will as the writing and spelling are dreadful but can not understand the Probatum at all, I'm not convinced it is in English.

I have no idea what the Lecta says. My 6 weeks of Latin many years ago is no help.

I can't work out if this is a will I need or not. Names are repeated every generation but Phillip's children don't entirely match what I can find but given how Devon's records are not complete I don't know for sure if it is my family or not.
Old 10-11-18, 13:02

Toni, in fact the will is clearly written and the spelling is mostly correct for the era in which it was written.

I have done a transcription for you:

In the name of God Amen In the Eighteenth daie of January. In the yeare of our Lord God One thousand Six hundred thirtie, and Six, And in the Twelfe yeare of the raigne of our Soveraigne Lord King Charles by the grace of God of England Scotland France, and Ireland defendor of the faith. I John Drake of Littelham in the County of Devon gent beinge weake in bodie but perfect of memorie parise be given to God, doe appoint, and ordaine this to bee my last will, and testament in manner, and forme following. First I bequeath my Soule to Almightie God, and his Sonne Jesus Christ my onelie Redeemer and Saviour, and my Bodie to the Christian Buryall. Inprimis I doe give to the Poore of the prishe of Littleham Twentie five Pounds, and is for the placinge out of prentizes, their Masters giving securitie unto the Churchwardens, and Overseers of the same parrishe for the repayment of such money as each of them shall have, one year before the terme of their Aprentishipp shalbe expired, And then to be putt out againe for the placinge of other Apprentises, And soe alwaies to contynue; provided that this money bee putt by the consent of the aforesaid Churchwardens, and Overseers, and one of my sonnes nowe being, and after by their heires or assignes, whome they shall appoint. Item I doe give unto the Church of the Parrish of Littelham Tenn shillings. Item I doe give unto my Sonne George Drake Fiftie pounds, and unto his three sonnes John Drake Robert Drake, and George Drake: Tenn Pounds to each of them; Item I doe give to my Sonne John Drake: Fowerscore Pounds, and unto his Three daughters Owner Drake, Marie Drake, and Elizabeth Drake: Tenn Pounds to each of them. Item I doe give unto my Sonne Henrie Drake Fowerscore Pounds, and my second best feather bed pfromed. Item I doe give unto Phillip Drake my sonne his Children, George Drake, John Drake, Henry Drake, Phillip Drake, Marie Drake, Jane Drake, Dorothie Drake, Katheren Drake, & Elizabeth Drake: Tenn Pounds to each of them. Item I do give my Land at Pion? in Otterton unto my Sonne Phillipp Drake, and unto his heires male forever, And for want of such issue unto the rest of the heires male of the rest of my Sonnes by lyniall discent, and for want of such issue unto the right heires in generall. Item I doe give to each of my Servants Tenn shillings a peece of them. And I doe make my Sonne Phillip Drake my whole and sole Executor, to see my debts paid, and those Legacyes above menconed to bee payd within One year after my decease, and that hee see my Bodie Christian like buried. In witnes of truith I have hereunto Sett my hand the daie, and year above written And published by him to be his last will in prsence of Henry Ritherdon Robert Mountstephen.

Probatum fuit Testamentum suprascriptum apud London coram venerabili viro dno Henrico Marten milite Legum doctore Curie Prerogative Cant: magro: Custode sive Commisario ltime constitut’ duodecimo die mensis Septembris Anno dni Millesimo Sexcentesimo tricesimo Septimo Juramento Phillipi Drake filij dci defuncti, et Executoris in humoi Testamento nominat: Cui Comissa fuit Administraco ominium et singulorum bonorum iurium et creditorum dicti defuncti, de bene, et fidelr Administrand eadem ad Sancta dei Evangelia (Coram magro Roberto Parsono Clerico vigore Commisionis) Jurat.

Last edited by ElizabethHerts; 10-11-18 at 13:06.
Old 10-11-18, 13:06

This is the probate clause in English:

The above written will was proved in London before the Venerable Henry Marten Knight
Doctor of Laws, Master, Keeper or Commissary of the Prerogative Court of Canterbury, lawfully appointed, on the twenty-second day of the month of September one thousand six hundred and twenty seven on the oath of Philip Drake son of the said deceased and executor named in the said will to whom was granted administration of all and singular the goods, rights and credits of the said deceased, well and faithfully to administer the same, having sworn on the Holy Gospels (before Robert Parson Clerk by virtue of a commission)
Old 11-11-18, 00:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethHerts View Post
Toni, in fact the will is clearly written and the spelling is mostly correct for the era in which it was written.
Thank you for the transcription. I haven't had many documents in this period so I found it difficult. Having read the transcription I had gotten the basics correct, although I wasn't sure I had.