Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 05-12-18, 18:04

It is one thing to research living or recently dead people. It is quite another to put them on an online tree. I was aghast to see a tree online which led to living people, their children, their full address and where the children were at school. This was on the flimsiest of connections in the early 1700s. When I remonstrated with the tree owner, he hit me over the head with that old excuse of "it's all information in the public domain so what's the problem?"

he was quite upset when I refused him access to my private tree. Alas, it took me ages to realise I should have told him he didn't need access to my tree because all the information is in the public domain, haha.

OC
Old 05-12-18, 20:03

Private trees don't stop information being found and living people on trees can often be positively identified by other bits of information.

No way do I ever put living people on online trees, even if shown as living, since the software will have the information, and any software can be hacked.

It is interesting that it is usually men who argue that all information should be out there, and women tend to be more circumspect.

I know who my relative the paedophile is, and so may his descendants, but that is one little snippet that won't appear in my notes.
Old 06-12-18, 19:46

My trees are all private, but I never put living people on them, except Tribal Pages, where I have my own name as the only living person. I get more contacts from that tree anyway. I think maybe because others cannot see relationships, just names.
Old 06-12-18, 23:11

'I was aghast to see a tree online which led to living people, their children, their full address and where the children were at school.'

Where was this? Who on earth puts that kind of information on a family tree?

Truly bizarre.
Old 07-12-18, 05:58

I've found my grandparents on online trees and didn't like it. It might have been different if I knew who the person was who had done it but it was a stranger to me and my grandparents. My grandfather was my first death and while it was a long time ago now, I found it a shock to see it on the screen.

I put anyone and everything on my tree but it is not online so no one knows, nor can get upset by things I find out.
Old 07-12-18, 10:06

James

I can't remember now but as it was a public tree it must have been on one of the main sites. It was what I call a vanity tree, the look-who-I-am related-to tree, based on an extremely flimsy connection to landed gentry in the early 1700s.

OC