Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 24-11-15, 22:12

Default Anyone who is bored...

I am revisiting my Batmans.

I have a fair bit of info, sent from various family members I've never met, found on family trees online etc. Very little has been proven in my opinion, but could well be correct.

I wonder if anyone knows how to check this. I've tried the usual places, Ancestry, FreeReg, Family Search, etc....and I know I checked FMP when I had a sub. Either I failed to look correctly or they aren't there (mostly).

Here's what I have

William Batman b. Copmanthorpe, Yorkshire c 1765 marries
Mary Mobbs, b. 3rd Nov 1766, Charlbury, Oxford. I know Mary Mobbs is correct, although I'm assuming she is "my" Mary.

William and Mary married 1795 Charlbury, Oxford

They have two children, Maria born 1793, London and Robert born 1796, London. They have several more children all documented, born in Australia after William is transported. The whole family comes out.

William's parents are supposed to be Thomas Batman b 1736 Yorkshire and Mary Jarum b. 1738 Yorkshire

Thomas' father is supposed to be Thomas.
Mary Jarum's parents are suppose to be Francis Jarum and Jane Cobb.

So...I have a fair bit of info. How much is correct is another story.

If anyone wants to play, please feel free.....or even if anyone has a good online site for PRs of that era.

Thanks.
Old 24-11-15, 22:24
Administrator

Oxfordshire FHS have something of a stranglehold over the Oxfordshire PR's, Libby, so I'm guessing that someone may have found the Oxfordshire information for you on a CD. They are supposed to be going online some time but I think we heard that the date had been put back recently.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 24-11-15, 22:25
Administrator

Presumably you have seen this, Libby:
http://www.portphillippioneersgroup.org.au/pppg5u.htm

Old 24-11-15, 22:45
Administrator

After looking at what some of the public trees on ancestry have and don't have, I think the best place to start checking it would probably be if you can get the full details of that marriage at Charlbury, Libby.

Old 24-11-15, 22:45

Yes thanks Kite.....I've seen that. Not the marriage...posted this prior to seeing your last post.

Everyone seems to have the same info but nobody adds the source.....lol

William is my 4x great grandfather through Robert. Two younger brother, John and Henry, born here in Australia are famous for their explorations and founding of Melbourne, so a lot is written about them.
Old 24-11-15, 22:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
After looking at what some of the public trees on ancestry have and don't have, I think the best place to start checking it would probably be if you can get the full details of that marriage at Charlbury, Libby.

I presume that would mean finding someone with the CDs of the PRs?
Old 25-11-15, 06:09
Administrator

I have lots of Charlbury info, but sadly it's all Quaker records, not C of E.

I guess this, below, would be the bap for William if he did come from Copmanthorpe, but how do the other researchers know that? (do you have his Australian death record? Is there ay info at his trial or other records surrounding his transportation?)

Name: William Battman
Baptism Date: 14 Feb 1768
Baptism Place: Copmanthorpe,York,England
Father: William Battman
FHL Film Number: 991197

EDIT - I could have sworn the father on this bap said Thomas when I first posted it lol - I'm not deleting it though, just in case it becomes relevant later!!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 25-11-15, 06:25
Administrator

At least one ancestry tree has (amongst other siblings) a brother for William called Thomas Batman b 1767. This Thomas was apparently born in Dorset and bounced back and forth between Dorset and Yorkshire during his lifetime as if it was just up the road. The same tree has your William born in London but bap in Hook, Yorkshire in 1765 - that seems fairly unlikely, but not impossible. So, you apparently have two brothers both running up and down the country!

I'm not saying the above is definitely wrong, but you would need a lot more evidence for the places these people were born/lived. Maybe some researchers wouldn't see the distances involved as prohibitive if they are living in a much bigger country than the UK and perhaps were more interested in picking events that fitted perfectly for date?

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 25-11-15, 06:32

Hence why I'd like to sort it, Merry.

That William you found I do believe is a 'cornfactor'. There are a few newspaper articles calling him William Batman (the younger). He's a different guy.
Old 25-11-15, 06:44
Administrator

Copmanthorpe and Hook are 18 miles apart and Hook is where the Batman/Jarum marriage took place in 1764. It seems likely these are the baps for the children of that marriage (father Thomas, mother not named):

William Batman 9 Apr 1765 Hook, Yorkshire, England
Thomas Batman 19 Apr 1767 Hook, Yorkshire, England
Jane Batman 16 Apr 1769 Hook, Yorkshire, England
John Batman 13 Mar 1771 Hook, Yorkshire, England
Mary Batman 4 May 1773 Hook, Yorkshire, England

but are they the right family for your man married in Charlbury?

(re the brother Thomas 1767 - it did occur to me the two places mentioned on his Ancestry tree entry - Hook and Drax - are place names in Yorkshire and in Dorset, so maybe that's why they have him running up and down the motorway between the two?)