Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 06-07-23, 08:14

Default Esther Watkins Again

Hello-
A few months ago, I inquired about Ann Watkins and her daughter Esther. There were a few interesting leads, but I didn't solve the mystery of Ann. However, having dug further on Esther, I have found what I am pretty sure is her marriage in 1865. The image is attached.

None of the possible family members seem to live near Hereford in censuses except one at Canon Pion - but the ages don't seem to match - and John and Anne are living somewhat further away near the Welsh border.

Leaving aside my difficulty in finding the groom and bride's fathers/families on the censuses (there are quite a few Watkins' in south-western Herefordshire), I'd also like to know why they might have been married in the Primitive Methodist Church in Hereford rather than one of the chapels closer to their place of abode, like Craswall (https://www.myprimitivemethodists.or..._herefordshire). British religious history (Methodist) is not something I know much about.

Thanks
Steve Bridges, Sydney, Australia.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Esther Watkins 1865 Marriage.jpg (19.6 KB, 7 views)
Old 06-07-23, 08:40
Administrator

This is a link to the old thread so we can refresh our memories:
http://www.genealogistsforum.co.uk/F...ad.php?t=31582

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 06-07-23, 10:33

I can't give you a definitive reason for the marriage at that particular chapel, but my own family history has an extreme example of just how seriously Primitive Methodists took their religion. One of my relatives attended an Ebenezer Chapel nearly all her life, as did her family and her husband's family. Her husband was buried in their burial ground. A new Minister came to the chapel, my relative (and others) fell out with him and my relative had her husband disinterred and reburied in another chapel ground miles away.

This goes to prove that people sometimes have the oddest and, to us, trivial reasons for their actions and maybe in your case, it was down to like or dislike of a Minister. Or maybe something else, lol.

OC
Old 06-07-23, 11:19

Sorry, OC, but what is an Ebenezer Chapel within Methodism? I couldn't see on a Google search result what distinguishes them from other types of chapels.
PS Your family story is interesting; one of my Australian (Scottish) ancestors was also buried in a different cemetery from others in his direct family; could be a similar issue, especially since Methodism seems to favour individual relationships with God and a willingness to disagree within each community?
Steve
Old 06-07-23, 14:46
Administrator

This is John and Esther in 1871, in Hereford (though I assume you already have it):
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...ce&pId=1962031

John Watkins Head Mar 31 Ag Lab Herefordshire Canonpyon
Esther Do Wife Mar 29 Ags Wife Breconshire Hay
William Do Son 6 Herefordshire Ewyas Harold
Anne Do Daur 5 Herefordshire Abbeydore
Mary Jane Do Daur 4 Do Do
John Do Son 2 Mo Do Wormbridge.

Old 06-07-23, 14:50
Administrator

On the 1891 census, John and Esther have a lodger Nicholas G Jones, 18, coal miner, born Weobley. Is he from the Jones family mentioned in the other thread? If so then it proves that you have the right Esther.

Old 06-07-23, 18:13

I think Ebenezer Chapel is just a more or less random name, taken from the Old Testament. It is a fairly common name for independent places of religion, not specifically Methodism. I guess - but don't know - that the meaning (stone of help) was a dig at the established church, which offered little or no practical help to the poor. Most of the independent religions offered practical help within their congregations and often outside as well. The established church hated this because it weakened their power over the poor.

OC
Old 07-07-23, 12:11

Thanks, kiterunner-
Yes, that does seem to be a match. If he was indeed born in Canon Pion around 1840, then I can match him up with other censuses such as the 1871 one you mention. Here's the 1841 one: https://www.ancestry.com.au/discover...=successSource

What concerns me is that on his marriage certificate, John says he is 23 years old (in January 1865), which suggests a birth date closer to 1841-2. That's a 1-2 year gap from the census dates...
Old 07-07-23, 14:52
Administrator

People were often pretty vague about their ages in those days.

Old 08-07-23, 08:15

Thanks for the help and reassurance folks.
Kiterunner, Nicholas G Jones is indeed from the family line (my g-g-uncle), so that links them together nicely. It just didn't help that the Jones' married other Jones' and the Watkins' married other Watkins'! Not direct cousins, thankfully (perhaps I shouldn't be judgemental...).
Intriguingly I just discovered a brother of John Watkins (Esther's husband), George, married on 12/06/1859, at age 16 and 11 months, to a 24 year old woman (Mary Prosser) in Hereford, she apparently having been pregnant (their son James was born in September Quarter. 1859) That one I'm going to follow up!