Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > DNA Questions

Old 09-01-19, 15:19
maggie_4_7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethHerts View Post
I sent mine off today, Maggie. I did notice it was going to Ireland and not the USA, which had been mentioned somewhere.
Yes, it came from Germany I think because I looked at the package tracking site, originally DHL and then given to Royal Mail in the UK to deliver.
Old 09-01-19, 15:21
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie_4_7 View Post
I can understand that but I think if you do Family History you probably know a lot already and it wouldn't throw up anything too shocking unless there is a specific worry.
DNA testing can absolutely give shocking results even if you have no worries beforehand! There are plenty of stories around of people who never suspected that one or other (or both) of their parents was not their biological parent until they had a DNA test and found out that way.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 09-01-19, 15:34
maggie_4_7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
DNA testing can absolutely give shocking results even if you have no worries beforehand! There are plenty of stories around of people who never suspected that one or other (or both) of their parents was not their biological parent until they had a DNA test and found out that way.
True but how many stories have we heard about in reality, I don't doubt there are a lot more out there than we realise that we will never know and what is the chances they do FH or would even consider a DNA test to further that research.

It is a chance, there is always a chance you are going to find out something you don't want to but then I say don't do it. When we hear those stories do we get told why they had a DNA test to start with, a couple I read were about FH that I recall.

I have a philosophy about biological fathers, any father can 'donate' their sperm but it takes a Dad to bring you up, nurture you, educate you, feed you and more importantly love you and nothing should change that not even a DNA test.

There was a report about this some years ago:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...ervices.uknews
Old 10-01-19, 00:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethHerts View Post
I sent mine off today, Maggie. I did notice it was going to Ireland and not the USA, which had been mentioned somewhere.
I think they get forwarded to the US for testing from Ireland?

I posted mine last Wednesday (purchased Black Friday sale just not got round to doing it), still waiting for confirmation its arrived somewhere but I suspect they'll be some delay 'cos of the Black Friday and Christmas offers. Hoping to possibly prove whether my Great Grandparents so-called "adopted son" was a distant relative. About the only chance I suspect of doing this, no paper trail available. They had seven children of their own at the same time so why they took on another from a children's home in the early 1900s we don't know (he was the same age as some of their older children so not a grandchild adopted as child). Suspicion is he may turn out to be a relative but who knows. Someone in Edinburgh who appears to be his great niece has tested with Ancestry along with her grandmother. Unfortunately she doesn't make much effort to stay in touch but if there is a match I can probably guess which line it will relate to. Shall just have to be patient, never my strong point.
Old 12-01-19, 23:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asa View Post
Recently I had a surprise match to someone in the first cousin range. I thought I knew who all my biological first cousins were and we were completely unknown to one another but it is indeed a first cousin and we’re both delighted about the discovery. It’s not without its complications of course but after a week of emailing we met up and it’s been a delightful time.
I've had a similar experience but not through a DNA test. I went to a family funeral and all grandchildren of the deceased stood up to speak. Not a problem except there were 8 grandchildren and 9 people standing up.

As you say it was a bit complicated but I'm glad that grandchild 9 has been discovered.
Old 12-01-19, 23:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by James18 View Post
I'm honestly quite worried about what I might discover. :|
If you haven't done the test then maybe you shouldn't do it, although it sounds like you have suspicions. If you aren't prepared to have the suspicions confirmed, don't do it.

Personally I couldn't stand not knowing so I would do it, but I guess it depends on the consequences of knowing.