Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 30-11-21, 17:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
Sorry, I don't know which Michael Morton and family you mean? I didn't find any Michael who was a shipwright, only Solomon and Allen.
I meant the Michael Morton I'm looking for, who is listed as a shipwright on his son's Michael J Morton marriage record. I know there is the Michael Morton, a farmer, in Maine mentioned in earlier posts - but, then garstonite suggests in his earlier post that he could be a shipwright/seaman. So, could he have changed occupations or is there a different Michael Morton somewhere ?

Thank you for the info from the two census entries and for the link to familysearch.org.
Old 30-11-21, 18:18

Quote:
Allan, does it say on that site that the Michael who married Minerva was a shipwright or a seaman, or is that just your guess?
Just my guess Kate - Dorchester is a large seaport - not many farmers there in my eyes - but looking at your post - I am wrong ...lol ..my query was Michael John Morton at marriage - Michael Joseph Morton for death - was it 2 people ?? Morton is quite a common name here in Merseyside - but Murphy has posted he was baptised Michael John Joseph Morton - so there is the answer...

Last edited by garstonite; 30-11-21 at 18:24.
Old 30-11-21, 18:23
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by garstonite View Post
Just my guess Kate - Dorchester is a large seaport - not many farmers there in my eyes - my query is Michael John Morton at marriage - Michael Joseph Morton for death - is it 2 people ?? Morton is quite a common name here in Merseyside ??
I think they have enough info to be sure it's the same person.

I'm just having a look at public trees with Solomon Morton in to see whether any include a Michael Morton, but no luck so far. Allen Morton seems to be Solomon's brother.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 30-11-21, 19:40

I've had a look at that familysearch.org link and the Index of Births for Portland 1712 - 1891, and have been able to search the index online. But, I can't find a birth record for Michael John Morton in 1861. In fact I can only find half a page for 1861 with about 4 records on - it then jumps to 1862,63 & 64 in quick succession but then loads for 1865, so wonder if some records are missing. The index online only seems to start in 1860 also, so I can't search before that. The index is a bit confusing too, initially starting alphabetically and then becoming random. But, as far as I can tell in the pages for 1860 there is no Morton under the 'M's, which is frustrating.....but could be me not searching correctly !
Old 30-11-21, 19:48
Administrator

Oh, that's funny - I can view the images too! It said they were restricted viewing so I didn't try to access them before.

Old 30-11-21, 23:12
Administrator

In searching those various Portland and Maine databases, I found the birth of Mabel Morton, daughter of Michael Morton and Minerva Philbrook, 11 Jul 1861 at Troy, Waldo, Maine. The date of the 1860 US census was 1 Jun 1860. No Michael jr on that 1860 census record for Michael and Minerva. I suppose it's possible that Michael J was born after the census and then Mabel the following year, but I think it seems unlikely that he belongs to this family.

Old 01-12-21, 15:18

Quote:
In searching those various Portland and Maine databases, I found the birth of Mabel Morton, daughter of Michael Morton and Minerva Philbrook, 11 Jul 1861 at Troy, Waldo, Maine. The date of the 1860 US census was 1 Jun 1860. No Michael jr on that 1860 census record for Michael and Minerva. I suppose it's possible that Michael J was born after the census and then Mabel the following year, but I think it seems unlikely that he belongs to this family.
Thank you for that kiterunner - interesting, another child born in 1861. I did attempt a search also in those records, but the script on the pages is very faint and difficult to read, so found nothing. But, going by the fact Michael J does not show on the 1860 US Census, it seems more likely he was born in 1861 which fits with the 1911 England census and his death record (although earlier censuses show him born in 1859).

So, if this Mabel Morton was born in July 1861, then as you say, it's doubtful Michael John belongs to this family. What a shame - but, thank you for your efforts and help.
Old 16-01-23, 07:22

I've also been looking for a link to Michael John Joseph Morton born Portland Maine 1863 problem is he was born a year after his father died. Also I have him as a passenger on the SS Bothnia from NY to Liverpool England arriving in 1891. Another problem he apparently married Anne Robinson in 1889 two yrs before he arrived?
Old 16-01-23, 09:40
Administrator

As for marrying before he arrived in the UK, he could have travelled back and forth a few times, couldn't he?