Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 11-10-21, 22:39
Administrator

Default Who Do You Think You Are - Josh Widdicombe 12th Oct

At 9 p.m. on BBC1

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 12-10-21, 22:06

They didn’t mention it but I noticed on the first scroll they showed Josh that his ancestor was William Paget. The Paget’s were Marquesses of Anglesey and owned much of the land in Burton
Old 12-10-21, 22:09

What a pedigree! It must have been information overload.
Old 12-10-21, 22:41

It was interesting but really, it was a history lesson. Riveting if these are your ancestors but for the rest of us, well,.....I already knew all this, lol.

OC
Old 12-10-21, 23:00
Administrator

Episode synopsis:

Josh Widdicombe was born in London, but grew up on Dartmoor in Devon. He went to visit his parents' who still live in Devon, and asked them whether it was true that his family was connected with Barings Bank. His father said that the connection was supposedly with the family of his grandmother (Josh's great-grandmother), Mary Irene Baring-Gould, known as Irene, who married Edmund Hannaford Widdicombe on the 27th April 1921. Josh remembered Irene, who lived to the age of 96. The marriage certificate showed that Irene's father was Arthur Baring-Gould, a clerk in holy orders. There was a report of his funeral in a parish magazine.
Josh went to Lewtrenchard Manor in Devon, where the Baring-Gould family lived, and met an historian who confirmed the connection to Barings Bank - Josh's 5xg-grandfather Charles Baring was a co-founder of the bank with his two elder brothers, John and Francis Baring. Josh was shown a picture painted in 1806 of John and Franci, but Charles was not in it. He was also shown a memo written by Francis in 1805 which said that Charles had made some bad and poorly judged deals and was being cut off from the bank.

The historian then showed Josh that his family tree went back to his 10xg-grandfather Henry Rich, the first Earl of Holland and his wife Isabel Cope. Josh went to Holland Park in West London, where Henry and Isabel lived, and he met an historian who showed him a picture of Holland House as it used to be, plus portraits of Henry and Isabel. Isabel's father was Walter Cope. Henry and Isabel had eight children. Henry was a member of the Privy Council of King Charles I, which used to meet at Hampton Court, so Josh went to Hampton Court, where he was shown a 1640 listing of the Privy Council which stated that Henry was "Groom of the Stool" to Charles I. Josh then went to the City of London where he met another historian, who told him that in the English Civil War, Henry was captured after losing the Battle of Surbiton, and was convicted of high treason and sentenced to death. Josh was shown news pamphlets from the time, one of which described Henry's execution and said that he made a speech to the crowd which said that he was well-bred and came from an ancient and honourable family.

Josh then went to Henley on Thames to meet an historian at St Nicholas' Church there, who showed him the memorial to his 13xg-grandparents Sir Francis Knollys, treasurer of the household of Queen Elizabeth I, and his wife Katherine Carey. Although Francis is buried there, Josh was told that Katherine was buried at Westminster Abbey and that her funeral was paid for by Elizabeth I. Katherine was Elizabeth's chief Lady of the Bedchamber. Francis and Katherine had 15 or 16 children, depicted around the Henley tomb, and Lettice Knollys, Josh's 12xg-grandmother, was depicted with a crown and red robes, because she was also a lady in waiting to Elizabeth.

Josh went to Greys Court near Henley, the seat of the Knollys family, and was shown a portrait of Lettice, who married Walter Devereux, the Earl of Essex. He then went to Kenilworth Court, the home of Robert Dudley, the first Earl of Leicester, who was Lettice's second husband. Because Dudley was a favourite of Elizabeth, she banned Lettice from her court for marrying him. Josh then went to Westminster Abbey to see Katherine's memorial, which said that Katherine's parents were William Carey and Mary Boleyn, the sister of Anne Boleyn, making Katherine cousin to Elizabeth. Josh then went to Hever Castle in Kent, where Mary Boleyn grew up, and met an historian who showed him a portrait of Mary and told him that Mary had an affair with King Henry VIII and that some historians believe that Katherine was Henry VIII's biological daughter. The historian then showed Josh his family tree back from Mary Boleyn to King Edward I, his 23xg-grandfather, and Marguerite of France, daughter of King Philip III of France.

Old 12-10-21, 23:01
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olde Crone View Post
It was interesting but really, it was a history lesson. Riveting if these are your ancestors but for the rest of us, well,.....I already knew all this, lol.
I agree. Though Josh didn't seem to know much about these people! I almost expected him to be surprised when he heard about the fate of Charles I!

Old 12-10-21, 23:04
Administrator

I always thought that the name Lettice was pronounced like lettuce, not how they all pronounced it in the programme. Chambers Dictionary backs me up. But apparently Lettice Knollys was the first of that name, so I guess the pronunciation changed after her time.

I wonder whether Josh had seen, or even heard of, the film, "The Other Boleyn Girl", about Mary?!

Anyway, I do find this kind of episode pretty boring, when they show the celebrity a long family tree and jump straight back hundreds of years. I much prefer the ones where they look at more recent ancestors.

Old 12-10-21, 23:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
I agree. Though Josh didn't seem to know much about these people! I almost expected him to be surprised when he heard about the fate of Charles I!
I thought the same. He didn’t seem to be aware of history
Old 12-10-21, 23:24
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret in Burton View Post
I thought the same. He didn’t seem to be aware of history
A lot of people are not! Watching TV quiz shows brings this home; many people including quite a few who seem quite educated, are pretty clueless.

I've not watched WDYTYA? for years. I actually quite enjoyed this episode, if I just blanked out the number of time Josh said "Oh Wow!!!".

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 13-10-21, 06:47
Administrator

I really enjoyed it. I love Josh. I think he was feigning a lack of knowledge in some areas for the sake of the programme. I loved his enthusiasm.

It was some tree, wasn't it?

At times he seemed shell-shocked.