Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 05-10-21, 10:06
Administrator

When and where did he marry Mary?

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 05-10-21, 10:16

Pity her surname is so common. I wouldn't mind betting she shacked up with someone else and the only way you'd find her would be tracing children with mmn Carter born in Leicester.
Old 05-10-21, 10:27
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
Pity her surname is so common. I wouldn't mind betting she shacked up with someone else and the only way you'd find her would be tracing children with mmn Carter born in Leicester.
Unless she went to the states with him.

I imagined either he or both left England soon after the marriage as there were no children registered here.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 05-10-21, 11:02

I suppose the question is "How did wife 2 know about wife 1?"

I imagined that it was thrown up in course of argument: "I should have stayed back in England with a wife who loved me"style of complaint. Had Harriet been in the vicinity, she would have had something to say, and the law on her side, even if impotent.
Old 05-10-21, 11:08

Who is the Joseph Bodycote fwk of Denman Street who gets a £50 loan in 1855 (subject to enquiry)? Is that loan to enable him to emigrate? It's from Sir Thomas White's and Parker and Heyricks charities.
Old 05-10-21, 11:13

Damn, no, he appears to be aged 67.
Old 05-10-21, 12:27

The Joseph from 67 Denman Street who takes the loan is Joseph Noon Bodycote's father, the old rogue himself, who seems to have spent the money on one way tickets to Philadelphia for himself and his 'partner', Charlotte Noon, and then died within eighteen months (threads passim).

Trying to tie up some of the loose ends is prompted by randomly connecting with the descendants of the man Charlotte shacked up with after Joseph's death.

Re marriages, JNB married Harriett in 1851 in Leicester and Rebecca in Fayette County, Illinois in February 1863. Mary's notice in the paper didn't appear until July 1863, so that horse may have bolted, so to speak. My question would be, which are the two wives she is talking about? Herself and Harriett, or herself and Rebecca?
Old 05-10-21, 12:39

So do you have a marriage for Mary? And does she suggest she is number one or number two? There are some men who find it easier just to marry the woman. (One of Best Mates relations was deceived into a bigamous marriage, when all the man wanted was a quick armful) He mght be committing more than trigamy!

If she describes two wives as living, she must have something to support the claim.
Old 05-10-21, 14:19
Administrator

I see Joseph doesn't have any wives in tow on the US 1860 census (just him and his mum!).

Having just read the notice placed by wife Mary, I'd say she means she is wife 1 and Rebecca is wife 2.

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/1337...seph-bodycote/

Old 05-10-21, 14:30
Administrator

I see Charlotte and Joseph arrived in the US 13 Nov 1855 at Philadelphia on the ship Tonawanda.

So, in that case, I agree with Phoenix about Harriet staying in England and living with someone. Tricky, as Phoenix said!