Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 21-10-21, 05:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenoco View Post
If we're lucky, it may turn up on YouTube in the next few days. I watched the Josh Widdicombe episode there (it's still available).
Oh wow, thanks Jenny, I found Josh Widdicombe! I had no idea WDYTYA was available on YouTube. I'll have a look at that tomorrow with much pleasure.

There was also a trailer for Judi Dench, so hopefully we can both land on that one too quite soon.

Janet (Niagara)
Old 21-10-21, 08:05
maggie_4_7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olde Crone View Post
I thought she was a bit slow on the uptake, lol. "Helsingor? Helsingor? Hmm, where have I heard that before??" I haven't heard of or read Hamlet for 5 0 years but even I knew it would be Elsinore.

OC

She is 86 and I think she was a bit stunned at some of the information and was having trouble taking it all in so quickly.
Old 21-10-21, 08:14

There was quite a lot of "maybe" and "perhaps" in this episode but even so, the coincidence between Dame Judi having a family connection with the model for Elsinore and Ophelia being her first big Shakespearean role as a young actress was remarkable. As was said about Josh Widdicombe last week, the subject must be instructed to feign ignorance to give the experts an opening to explain facts to the viewer. Surely it could be done in a better way than making the celebrity look very silly? I can't believe that Dame Judi Dench didn't know that Shakespeare based Elsinore on Kronborg Castle. I did and I'm no expert on Hamlet!

I rather enjoyed the interior shots of the National Library of Ireland and their beautiful green shaded reading lamps. I have a photo of my daughter working at one of those desks under one of those lamps taken in summer 2020. It was the first day of their release from lockdown and she was so delighted to be able to go back to get on with her research that she sent me a photo. I would love one of those lamps because of the colour as I told her at the time!
Old 21-10-21, 08:17
maggie_4_7

My impression was that combining the Danish accent and using the Danish name it didn't click in Judi's mind quickly and the wheels and cogs were a bit slow.
Old 22-10-21, 17:36

I feel much of the "ignorance" of the person whose tree is being traced is for the benefit of the "ignorant" viewers, which annoys me. I also don't like them saying "ancestor" when they mean "relative".
Brewer, Broad, Eplett & Pope in Cornwall
Smoothy & Willsher/Wiltshire in Essex & Surrey
Emms, Mealing + variants, Purvey & Williams in Gloucestershire
Barnes, Dunt, Gray, Massingham, Saul/Seals/Sales in Norfolk
Matthews & Nash in Warwickshire