Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 18-03-18, 18:32

Default John Holmet of Aldgate

I’m trying to find out what happened to John Holmet after his wife’s death (no marriage found for them). The number of ways the name is spelt isn't helping!

They baptised 5 children 1758-1769 at St Botolph Aldgate (with the surname Holmet/Holmid), abode Churchyard Alley and Cock Alley.
Likely burial for his wife Elizabeth - 25 Sept 1772 St Botolph Aldgate, Elizth Holemott wife of John, Cock Alley East Smithfield.

Was my man the John Holmid, widower, who married Margaret Powell 22 May 1774 at St Leonard Shoreditch? I can’t see any children or a burial for Margaret.
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interacti...&usePUBJs=true

There’s a St Botolph Settlement exam for John Holmid (sig matches the above marriage) Dec 1784 where he claims to have been born in Churchyard Alley, Aldgate
https://www.londonlives.org/browse.j...0041#highlight

Also on London Lives is an entry for John Holmet age 59 admitted to the St Botolph workhouse April 1784 (bottom line – unfortunately the year of death is unreadable and I can’t find a likely burial).
https://www.londonlives.org/browse.j...0079#highlight

Meanwhile Ancestry’s London tax records have John Halmitt/Helmitt/Holmith/Helmitt/Helmeth/Helmoth at Shirleys estate, no. 13, East Smithfield 1778-1792.

Please can anyone spot anything which would confirm or deny whether any of these relate to my man?
Old 18-03-18, 20:16
Administrator

I think the date of death on the workhouse record starts with 17th August (17 Aug), but the year is too dark to read.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 19-03-18, 01:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
I think the date of death on the workhouse record starts with 17th August (17 Aug), but the year is too dark to read.
I tried the same record on FindMyPast. I can’t read it either. Maybe someone could read it if they could look at the original volume.

Last edited by rainbowdragon; 19-03-18 at 01:14.
Old 19-03-18, 19:00

Yes, I've checked burials in the weeks after 17 Aug for several years from 1784 with no luck. He must have been buried somewhere

Good idea about looking at the original volume - I'll add that to my to-do list.