Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 29-06-18, 23:56

Default Help please.

Ancestry is playing games. Asked a friend to look at something and she got a few hits in trees, all useless. Maybe Ancestry is sick of me bagging their trees because I’m getting nothing at all, anywhere.

This is what I have for certain..

Selina (various spellings and sometimes known as Sarah) STRUTT, born 1806, Deptford, Kent..
Married Henry William West 1828.
Died 18th May 1890 address 6 Langton Rd, Brixton, Surrey.

Her husband died 1882.

I’m trying to get Selina back.

On her marriage, her father was William.
I’ve found a baptism on FreeReg for Celina Strutt, daughter of William, a hatter, and Sarah.

William and Sarah are in the 1841 with daughter, Louise and granddaughters, one named Selina. Pretty sure that’s them.

Lots of trees have William and Sarah Strutt but the children and dates are all wrong. I’m yet to make Ancestry show me so not sure.

Does anyone know a good site for Kent? And is St Nicholas and St Paul close to each other? I think some of Selina’s siblings may have been baptised there.
Thanks.
Old 30-06-18, 05:27

LMA have the following baptisms for children of William & Sarah

3 Oct 1802; St Saviour Southwark Surrey: Louisa Strutt (b. 12 Sep 1800?) and James Strutt (b. 12 Aug indecipherable)

25 July 1804; St Paul Deptford: Harriett Strutt, d/o William Strutt (hatter ) and Sarah; Grove street

6 July 1806, St Nicholas Deptford: Celina Strutt (Hughes Fields)

https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...SAV=1&uidh=xi1
Old 30-06-18, 05:33

Selina and Henry married at St Mary ,Lewisham ,Kent - according to a pay per view on geneanet.org ...but as you say - lots of trees - doesn't mean they are right - and another says Selina is baptised in St Paul ,Deptford,Greenwich,Kent ....do these churches help - that's if those records are correct ???

ADDED - there you go - one record says St Paul another says St Nicholas for Selina / Celina in Deptford ...typical of peoples trees - best of luck ....

Last edited by garstonite; 30-06-18 at 05:36.
Old 30-06-18, 05:52

Thanks Bev and Allan.

I didn’t have the baptisms of Louisa and James. There is another son in 1810 back at StPauls with the address of a Grove Street. I cannot work out what the Hughes Field is all about. Will and Sarah are still in Grove St in the 1841 census. I also presumed Mary and Selina in the 1841 are Louisa’s children as Sarah is way to old to have had them. I thought maybe Louisa was a daughter in law.

Still wonder why Celina (1806) was baptised at a different church and address.
Old 30-06-18, 06:36

There is a marriage between a William Strutt and a Sarah Sturch 3 Nov 1793 at Christchurch with St Mary & St Stephen Spitalfields which might fit. Also the baptism of a William Strutt in March 1771, son of William & Mary, with the cryptic comment 'roadside' possibly of interest
Old 30-06-18, 06:48

Charles William Strutt b. 1810 (see post #4) has probate listed in 1888. He called himself a 'gentleman' According to the 1861 census, he was a hatter also.

William Charles West, nephew & ships' carpenter, is one of the executors.
Old 30-06-18, 07:18

That’s handy. Thanks Bev.
Old 30-06-18, 07:21
Administrator

Does the marriage entry really say the names of the fathers?

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 30-06-18, 08:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
Does the marriage entry really say the names of the fathers?
No, it doesn’t.......and I have no idea why I thought that. I’m trying to remember how I knew her parents name to prove that baptism was correct.
Old 30-06-18, 08:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrysMum View Post
Ancestry is playing games. Asked a friend to look at something and she got a few hits in trees, all useless. Maybe Ancestry is sick of me bagging their trees because I’m getting nothing at all, anywhere.

This is what I have for certain..

Selina (various spellings and sometimes known as Sarah) STRUTT, born 1806, Deptford, Kent..
Married Henry William West 1828.
Died 18th May 1890 address 6 Langton Rd, Brixton, Surrey.

Her husband died 1882.

I’m trying to get Selina back.

On her marriage, her father was William.
I’ve found a baptism on FreeReg for Celina Strutt, daughter of William, a hatter, and Sarah.

William and Sarah are in the 1841 with daughter, Louise and granddaughters, one named Selina. Pretty sure that’s them.

Lots of trees have William and Sarah Strutt but the children and dates are all wrong. I’m yet to make Ancestry show me so not sure.

Does anyone know a good site for Kent? And is St Nicholas and St Paul close to each other? I think some of Selina’s siblings may have been baptised there.
Thanks.
Hi

My Dawsons who lived in Rotherhithe, were mostly baptised at St Mary Rotherhithe but married at various churches in the area from Lee Kent, and Lewisham to St Nicholas and St Paul Deptford. St Nicholas and St Paul are only about 250m apart but over 2 miles from Rotherhithe.