Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 09-06-13, 13:53
tenterfieldjulie

I found Matthew and Ellen's marriage certificate 1/7/1896 St Benedicts witnesses John McDonagh, Bridget O'Conner. Bride Ellen O'Connor Spinster Born County Limerick Ireland Occupation lady Age 26 Residence Myrtle st Sydney Father Patrick O'Connor farmer Mother Bridget Kennelly. Matthew was 27, so looks like she took 5 years off .. easier to remember maybe..
So how was calling herself a lady .. if she had been here 12 years .. Unless she was somebody's companion.. She certainly had an elaborate outfit when she married and there is a large portrait of her dressed very elegantly.. From the stories of her she was an extremely devout lady and I have no reason to doubt it. Did someone sponsor her I wonder. I looked for marriage of Ann and there was a marriage in 1908, but that seems too late as she would have been 47, but I can't find a death. I found 2 deaths in NSW for a Bridget O'Connor with parents Patrick and Bridget, one in Redfern 1926 and one at Newtown 1936, so could be either, or she also could have married later after 34. Of course they could have moved interstate.

Last edited by tenterfieldjulie; 09-06-13 at 14:23.
Old 09-06-13, 15:11
tenterfieldjulie

Found the letter I wrote to Pastkeys in 2000 looking for their arrival ... this was after years of searching on my own. So many many thanks again Kate for all you have uncovered, including Ellen's elusive arrival into NSW. Just hope it doesn't take me as long to find what she was doing between 1884 and 1896 lol

I finally found the Birth Certificate that I purchased from Ireland in March 2011
DoB 23/6/1872 Glenastar, Name John, Father Patrick OConnor Glenastar, Mother Bridget OConnor formerly Kennelly, Rank or Profession of Father Farmer; Signature of informant Patt OConnors father Glenastar; Reg 5/7/1872.
So from looking at that he signed OConnors .. so easily it became Connors
Wondering if I should be looking for Padraig or Patrick .. another time .. Julie

Last edited by tenterfieldjulie; 09-06-13 at 15:14.
Old 09-06-13, 15:21
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenterfieldjulie View Post
No we didn't find her birth. Was there an age for her on the immigration?
Yes, it says Bridget was 22 (in 1886) but I'm thinking maybe that is out by a year or two because Ellen was born at the beginning of 1864. So Bridget could have been born in 1862 or 1863, before the start of civil registration in Ireland. I think that means we may be looking for a boy born before 1864 too?

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 09-06-13, 15:37
Administrator

Roots Ireland has a baptism for a Bridget O'Connor 1862 Ardagh (RC), Co Limerick, parents Patrick and Bridget. I can't see one for Ann on there though.

Old 09-06-13, 15:38
tenterfieldjulie

If I remember correctly, Bridget said 11 children on 1911 C and we had 8 plus Bridget 9, who we now know was older, plus Ann the oldest girl so 10.
Ellen said she was the 3rd daughter on marriage notice. There is another sibling, possibly older brother, or would she have said 4th child rather than 3rd daughter? Not sure.
I've just been looking at the Abergeldie passenger list and it was damaged.
The passengers were listed first Families which went A to C, then males S to Z and then females. So very lucky to find the O'Connor sisters in the undamaged part. That also leaves the possibility open that Mathew McDonagh and John Finn were also on the ship .
I know in some cases there were departure lists and arrival lists? Or am I clutching at straws .. I wonder if the arrival list would be on Trove? It is 1.40 am here I think I'll have to look tomorrow. Many many thanks Kate. Julie
Old 09-06-13, 15:38
Administrator

Quote:
So from looking at that he signed OConnors .. so easily it became Connors
Wondering if I should be looking for Padraig or Patrick .. another time .. Julie
Not sure what you mean - looking where? Have you got the image of Patrick and Bridget's marriage entry yet?

Old 09-06-13, 15:41
Administrator

Quote:
Ellen said she was the 3rd daughter on marriage notice. There is another sibling, possibly older brother, or would she have said 4th child rather than 3rd daughter? Not sure.
It was quite usual to say third daughter or third son rather than child, ignoring the siblings of the other sex, so it doesn't mean there wasn't an older brother.

Quote:
I know in some cases there were departure lists and arrival lists? Or am I clutching at straws .. I wonder if the arrival list would be on Trove? It is 1.40 am here I think I'll have to look tomorrow. Many many thanks Kate. Julie
The departure lists from the UK at that date aren't available, only from 1891 onwards. But you should definitely go to bed!

Old 09-06-13, 15:43
tenterfieldjulie

No he signed that as the information on John's birth registration.
The marriage is one of my next purchases, along with Ellon's birth. I am also looking for deaths but there are quite a few to choose from.. I saw a will but he was a shopkeeper.
Do you think that she would have put father deceased when she married in 1896? She didn't, if so that narrows it to between 1896 and 1901 Census when Bridget said widow.
Old 09-06-13, 15:44
tenterfieldjulie

Going lol The cats thanks you..
You would have thought they would have had a Patrick !!
Mother was living with Francis the oldest known son .. and all her children were living.
Old 09-06-13, 15:48
Administrator

(from Trove)
Sydney Evening News Mon 7 Jul 1884 page 5
Arrival of Immigrants

The Orient Company's immigration steamer, Abergeldie, arrived from London via Plymouth yesterday, on her second voyage to this port. She at onece steamed into Spring Cove, and was boarded by the Government health officers, Dr Mackellar and Dr Sibley. During the voyage some 20 cases of measles have occurred, and there are two men suffering from them now, so that it is probable that she will be detained a few days at Spring Cove until the passengers have had the opportunity to cleanse up all the clothing, while those suffering from sickness will be landed at the quarantine station. The immigrants are classified as 157 single men, 114 single women, 79 married couples, and 146 children from 1 to 12 years of age, and 12 infants. Two infants died during the voyage, and three births took place. The immigrants have been under the medical superintendance of Dr Beattie, with Miss Jones as matron. The Abergeldie is on this voyage commanded by Captain Smith, formerly chief officer of the Garonne. The Abergeldie left Plymouth on May 13, and Capetown on June 10, and the voyage has been an exceedingly pleasant one.