Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take One Great-Grandparent

Old 01-01-10, 19:37

Default FMM Laura Cubitt Sharman

Laura Cubitt Sharman
Also known as Laura Cubitt (on ALL censuses and death cert) That's why I had trouble finding her in the first place!

Date and place of birth: 1st April 1860 in Ludham, Norfolk Cert ref found by member of GR 4 years ago after I was really struggling to get anything on Laura.

Names of parents : Charles Frederick Cubitt Sharman and Maria Watts

Date and place of baptism – Unknown

Details of her marriages - None

1861 : Age 1 yr, Boarded out with Crane family, Street, Catfield, Norfolk. Mother in Hospital father with Laura’s maternal grandfather.

1871: age 11 living with her maternal grandfather George Watts ,age 71, b Bacton, a retired inn keeper,in Acle, Norfolk.

1881: age 21, a visitor, b Ludham, Norfolk staying at 6 Tower St, Gt Yarmouth, with Robert Skinner,65, Head, and his daughter Emily Skinner, age 20.

1891: Laura and illegitimate dau Annie age 11 months were boarders in Bawdeswell, Norfolk with Annie Amies, Head, Single,age 21, a grocer. Laura age 31 stated she was married (??!!)

1901: Laura and Annie were living in Gorleston, Gt Yarmouth. Laura, head of household, unmarried (!!!), age 40, born Catfield and was a commercial booking clerk.

1911: Head of household age 51, single, born Catfield, Norfolk, a silk weaver for Grouts Silk Factory. Her son William age 29 was also living with her at 4 Surah? Place, Gt Yarmouth.

Date, place and cause of death: Laura died on 17th April 1913 at 8 Vauxhall Street, Runham Vauxhall, Yarmouth. Cert held. Her son William was present at her death.
Cause of death was a) Influenza and b) Broncho pneumonia
This was the first I knew of a brother - William. I found him on 1891 and 1901 censuses living with an aunt.

Date and place of burial. 22 Apr 1913. As Laura Edna Cubitt. Spinster. Caister Borough Cemetery Plot D 888. Address at death: 8 Vauxhall St. Runham Vauxhall. Same as on death cert.
Details of will / administration of their estate – none found

Last edited by Katarzyna; 23-02-23 at 11:55.
Old 01-01-10, 23:24
Administrator

Ooh, I recognise her name! Wasn't I that GR member?!

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 02-01-10, 09:17

Yes Kate it was!! I couldn't remember whether it was you or Horatia Nelson who found her.

I am forever grateful, I had been searching for her for years in dusty old files I can still remember how I felt that day when all the bricks came tumbling down. xx

Tags
togg7