Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take One 3xGreat-Grandparent

Old 11-12-10, 08:22

Default ? Alexander Strachan ?

This is a difficult one for me. My great great grandmother Ann(e) Strachan didn't marry the father of her children and despite years of searching, I can find neither a baptism or a birth registration for her. The only likely finding I have for her before she began her own family is on the 1851 census as Nancy Strachan born c1848 Whitechapel, daughter of the following. Anne uses the names of her putative parents for her own children as well as those of some of her putative siblings and in 1881 it looks like she has her putative mother, as Ellen Strong in the household as "grandmother". So Alexander is *possibly* my great x 3 grandfather

Name - Alexander Strachan

Date and place of birth c1796-1803 City of London (census)

Names of parents - unknown but possibly John and Margaret who were in the right area at the right time with one son who had the same trade as Alexander and a six year gap in between two children at which time Alexander was probably born

Date and place of baptism - unknown

Details of each of his or her marriages - as Alexander Strong, 12 Sep 1831 St Luke Old Street Finsbury, Middlesex to Eleanor/Ellen Jenkins Ford

Occupation(s) - glass cutter 1832, glass grinder 1835/38/70, optician 1841, ptical glass grinder journeyman 1851, glass polisher 1852

Addresses where they lived (including county if in UK) -
1832/35 Northampton Street Clerkenwell, Middlesex
1838 28 Clerkenwell Green, Clerkenwell
1841 New Inn Yard, Shoreditch, Middlesex
1851/52 8 Britannia Street, Grays Inn Lane, Pancras, Middlesex
1861 - missing
1870 10 St Helena Place, Clerkenwell

Date, place and cause of death - 27 Apr 1870 at 10 St Helena Place, Clerkenwell of Haematemesis melaena

Date and place of burial. unknown

Last edited by Asa; 11-12-10 at 08:26.
Old 27-10-11, 22:49

Default opticians

I am a descendant of John Strachan, optician.
Old 28-10-11, 17:33

Hello Garry - the one married to Margaret whose children were baptised at Aldgate and Cripplegate? I don't suppose you have a baptism for Alexander?

Tags
to3g7