Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 09-03-14, 17:38

Default Advice on Scottish stuff needed please

How on earth am I going to find Scottish families with typically Scottish names?

One lady is Ellen Robertson, from census info (English) she was born abt 1853 in Balmagel, Kirkcudbrightshire, She married John McIntosh, born 03 Mar 1852 in Methlic, Aberdeenshire abt 1875 (marriage info extrapolated from 1911 census) Is it possible to narrow down who she is or find her in an earlier ?Scottish census or her marriage. They were certainly living in England (Northampton) in 1881.

Then there's John McIntosh's parents.......
William McIntosh born abt 1813 in King Edward, Aberdeenshire
and
Isabel Frazer born abt 1818 in Peterhead, Aberdeenshire
Their first child was born 1832 (James)

Where should I be looking for their marriage details? and do you think with these names I'm ever going to find them?
Old 09-03-14, 18:51
Administrator

Have you investigated the 1875 marriage in Sheffield?

(I can't find them in 1881 or in 1911 )

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 09-03-14, 18:58

The family seem to be in Nottingham in 1881, with an eldest daughter said to be born in Sheffield, and in Grantham in 1911.

merleyone
Old 09-03-14, 19:04
Administrator

That's odd - I found a family fitting the Sheffield/Notts criteria in 1881, but they are called Alexander and Annie McIntosh!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 09-03-14, 19:08
Administrator

Thanks, Merleyone. They are down as Mc Intosh (with a space) and ancestry's new search doesn't seem able to come up with this if you search for M*c*int*sh which is how I used to search for the Mc surnames.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 09-03-14, 19:08
Administrator

Snap, kate!

Old 09-03-14, 19:10
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by merleyone View Post
The family seem to be in Nottingham in 1881, with an eldest daughter said to be born in Sheffield.

merleyone
Anyway, that seems to fit well with the Sheffield marriage, though I haven't yet tried to work out if the other couple married each other.

Old 09-03-14, 19:31
Administrator

Quote:
though I haven't yet tried to work out if the other couple married each other

Yes they did. Fred Geo Moody and Alice Bennington were both from Lincolnshire which put me off for a while.

Old 09-03-14, 19:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by merleyone View Post
The family seem to be in Nottingham in 1881, with an eldest daughter said to be born in Sheffield, and in Grantham in 1911.

merleyone
I hadn't registered the daughter born in Sheffield! I had seen that marriage. but rather thought they would have married before they came to England! It looks as if I was wrong, Thanks so much for that
Old 09-03-14, 19:43

In the 1911 census, Ellen's birthplace is recorded as Balmahagel, Kirkcudbrightshire but Googling for that place is not successful and Balmahagie, is suggested in Kirkcudbrightshire.
For what its worth, in the 1861 census at Longwood Moor, Tongland, Kircudbrightshire is Bennet Robertson, 33, Aglab, with his wife, Janet, 33, and their children Helen 7, James 5, Robert 4, & Marion 1. Apart from Helen shown with a birthplace of Rerrick, Kirkcudbrightshire, the rest of the family were all born at Balmahagie.
This Helen does seem to be the only Helen/Ellen Robertson of the right age in Kircudbrightshire in that census and in 1871, she is shown as a servant in the Cumming household at Lodge, Balmahagie.

merleyone