Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take Two 5xGreat-Grandparents

Old 19-05-16, 19:14

Default Charles ANNIS

Hi - in reply to your last two posts: I couldn't agree with you more about the name Minter - when I traced the name many years ago I thought it very unusual - I think there still could be a connection with the one recorded in Bury St Edmunds.
No direct Nelson connection apart from 1. his birthplace of Burnham Thorpe, 2. his father the Rev Edmund Nelson marrying Charles Annis and Rachel ROBINSON in 1768 and 3. I have an ANNIS showing on a Muster List of one of Nelson's ships, but can't tie it in with any one on my tree.
I agree with your list of children to Charles and Sarah - NB Hannah (bap 1781) was buried in 1782. Additionally, Robert (1779), Richard (1781), Hannah (1783) and John (1786) were all publicly baptised in Burnham Thorpe on 20 August 1786 - the baptism entry makes reference to Pulham St Mary, (where Robert and Richard were privately baptised) proving it is the same family - do you have any thoughts on why they moved from Pulham to the Burnham's? - I have a theory.
My ancestor was Robert (1779).
Twins do run in the family, so there could be a link with the two you found in Bury St Edmunds. The John burial in Bury/residence Braiseworth is interesting - there are many ANNIS' in and around Braiseworth, Stoke Ash, Eye and surrounding parishes - they all need sorting!!
Chris
Old 19-05-16, 21:59
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Annis View Post
do you have any thoughts on why they moved from Pulham to the Burnham's? - I have a theory.
No, I have no idea - would love to hear your theory, please!

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 22-05-16, 19:38

Default Charles ANNIS

Well, if you're sitting comfortably - I think it's all to do with Sheep!:

Market Harling is another name for East Harling. Big sheep markets used to be held there, even up to the 1900's (source Rosemary Witham, Professional Researcher December 2000).
A Husbandman (Welsh term - and the occupation shown on Charles' Rushall Marriage Licence) is a 'farm worker experienced in all branches of farm work and able to plough, sow, reap, milk, tend sheep and cattle, thatch, repair ditches etc and usually acts as headman or foreman' - source 1921 Census of Popular Occupations - 1920 Census.
Information from John Rowe, Researcher at Norfolk Family History Society, February 2001 (who was born in Pulham Market): " I was not aware of any common interest between Rushall and Harling. Movement would probably be along the Waveney valley and Harling is not far from the joint sources of the rivers Waveney and Little Ouse which flow in opposite directions and form the county boundary. You (my suggestion to John Rowe) are right in thinking Peddars Way - one would go north from Harling to Castle Acre, and north of this there are lots of green lanes and drover's roads and I notice even a Roman road from Sculthorpe to Burnham Overy. This all makes me think sheep, particularly as the Holkham Estate adjoins the Burnhams and there were many big estates around Thetford and certainly between Thetford and Harling. The Duke of Norfolk had one at Kenninghall (maybe still has) and the Albemarle's at Quidenham. Sheep and cattle would move between these places." Burnham Overy (one of the other ‘Seven Burnham’s’), at the time, was a very prosperous wool port.

So my theory is that Charles regularly travelled between Market Harling or thereabouts and the North Norfolk Coast and on one of the trips met and married Rachel Robinson. He then marries Sarah in Rushall, and then subsequently (maybe because of his trade again) moved to Burnham Thorpe.

I thought you might also be interested in the remainder of information/facts I have for Charles:

Baptism recorded in Braiseworth, Suffolk Parish Register of Baptisms 16 April 1748 as "Charles son of William and Elizabeth Annis"
No trace of a Charles Annis being Baptised in Burnham Thorpe Parish Register of Baptisms Fiche 1735-1751, although fiche was very difficult to read.
First marriage (?) recorded in Burnham Thorpe Parish Register, 1768, page 12, entry no. 34, " Charles Annis of this parish singleman and Rachel Robinson of this Parish singlewoman were married in this church by Banns this 24th day of October in the Year One Thousand [Seven] Hundred and 68 By me E. Nelson". Both Charles and Rachel marked and both witnesses, William Rowe & William Scott marked. The witness William Scott may have been related to Charles' eldest son's wife Amy Scott (AS/127). Burnham Thorpe marriage also recorded in Burnham Thorpe Parish Archdeacon's Transcripts and NFHS transcripts (no additional info.). No trace in IGI.
Second (?) marriage recorded in Philip Hamlin's Marriage Index of Norfolk, a summary of which is: " Charles Annis of Market Harling, Norfolk married by Licence Sarah Lemon of Rushall on 8th April 1771 at Rushall. Sarah signed with a X. The Licence, ANF/12/25 is dated 8th April 1771. Charles Annis is of Market Harling, aged 23, Husbandman. Sarah Lemon of Rushall, aged 20. Hannah Lemon, her mother, consents with a X." (sources Rosemary Witham, December 2000 and Pat Tonkin, June 2003, professional researchers - see full transcript of licence, including a photocopy, in personal file). Also recorded in IGI, but as 5th April, 1771. This entry must have been transcribed from the Rushall Parish Archdeacon's Transcripts of Marriages 1771, where the "8" in the date is very badly written and could easily have been taken for a "5".
Two burials are recorded in the Burnham Thorpe Parish Register, 1782, Hannah Annis infant July 9th, and 1801, Hannah Annis infant was buried July the 13th 1801 - no parents names in either entry are recorded. These could have been daughters of Charles and Sarah - they subsequently had a daughter in 1783 named Hannah? The one buried in 1782 is more likely to have been HA/707 and the one in 1801 a grandaughter of Charles and Sarah as Sarah would have been over 50 years of age.
Recorded at son's (CA/126) marriage (21.1.1801) as witness: Charles Annis Snr.
Death and burial recorded in Burnham Thorpe Parish Register of Burials, "1806, Annis - Charles Annis died April 17th buried April 20th 1806 aged 63 years". Assuming he was fairly young when baptised, he would have been closer to 58 when buried.

Hope you find this of interest - how did you make the connection between Market Harling/Pulham/Rushall and Burnham Thorpe?
Old 22-05-16, 22:30
Administrator

Very interesting, thanks. I found the connection because I searched online for all children of Charles and Sarah and found that one baptised in Rushall, then some in Pulham, then some in Burnham Thorpe. Then looked for Charles and Sarah's marriage online, and found it said he was of Market Harling.

I think the Hannah who was buried in 1782 will be the one who was baptised 1 Feb 1781 at Pulham St Mary; don't know whether that is what you mean by HA/707?

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update

Tags
tt5g17