Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take Two 5xGreat-Grandparents

Old 05-04-13, 11:40
Administrator

Default Charles Annis

Name - "official" name and what they were known as Charles Annis
Date and place of birth 1748 Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk
Names of parents William Annis and Elizabeth nee Minter
Date and place of baptism - if applicable 16 Feb 1748 Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk
Details of each of his or her marriages - if any 8 Apr 1771 at Rushall, Norfolk, to Sarah Lemon. Of the parish of Market Herling (now East Harling), witnesses Timothy Cunningham and Joshua Sheppard (serial witness).
Occupation(s) - if any Don't know
Addresses where they lived (including county if in UK) - and please list which censuses you have or haven't found him/her on (if s/he lived in census times!).
1771 - Market Herling, Norfolk
1776-1781 Pulham St Mary, Norfolk
1783-1806 Burnham Thorpe, Norfolk

Date, place and cause of death 17 Apr 1806 Burnham Thorpe, Norfolk, not got cause
Date and place of burial. 20 Apr 1806 Burnham Thorpe, age 63
Details of will / administration of their estate - if applicable Not found
Memorial inscription - if any Not found

Link to son's thread:John Annis

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update

Last edited by kiterunner; 04-09-21 at 18:10. Reason: add birth, parents' names, baptism
Old 05-04-13, 22:27
Administrator

Just discovered that Charles and Sarah had a "baseborn" son Charles Annis baptised the day before their wedding!

Charles sr could be the one baptised 16 Feb 1747 at Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk, son of William and Elizabeth, but I haven't found proof yet. That couple did have a child called Minter baptised in 1760, and my Charles also named a son Minter.

Last edited by kiterunner; 24-04-15 at 12:52. Reason: add possible baptism
Old 13-05-16, 13:58

Default Charles ANNIS

Charles ANNIS is my four times great grandfather and I have information about his marriage in Rushall, together with information on many other ANNIS'. Happy to provide you with what I have.
Old 13-05-16, 14:12
Administrator

That makes you a distant relative of my OH, Chris. Welcome to the forum! I have already seen Charles Annis's marriage record, but do you have any information about his parents, please? Do you know whether he was the Charles baptised in Bury St Edmunds?

Old 16-05-16, 20:07

Default Charles ANNIS

The marriage licence of Charles ANNIS and Sarah LEMON shows Charles as age 23, so born c 1748 and from Market Harling (now East Harling, Suffolk). This was his second marriage, the first being to Rachel ROBINSON at All Saints, Burnham Thorpe, Norfolk on 24 October 1768 (I assume Rachel died, although I have been unable to trace the death).
I believe Charles' parents are William ANNIS and Elizabeth (maiden name unknown), who baptised a son "1748 April 16 Charles son of William & Elizabeth Annis as baptised" at St Mary's Church, Braiseworth, Suffolk. I have no trace of their marriage in Braiseworth (they may have married in Stoke Ash - see below). An Elizabeth ANNISS is recorded by the Suffolk Family History Society in their Burial transcriptions as being buried in Braiseworth, Suffolk on 30 September 1782.
The following has been extracted from the WILLIAMS family tree www.williamsfamilytree.co.uk - Robert ANNIS born about 1667 St. James, Bury St. Edmunds. Robert married Mary ROSE (bap 27 March 1671 in Bury St. Edmunds) on 5 October 1691 in Stoke Ash, Suffolk. They baptised a son (amongst other children) William on 11 April 1698 in Stoke Ash.
Bury St. Edmunds, Stoke Ash, Braiseworth and Rushall (together with other villages that Charles lived in) are all within a 20 mile radius of each other.
I hope this helps - there could be a connection between the above and the Charles you mention baptised in Bury St Edmunds in 1747.
What is your connection to the ANNIS line?
Old 16-05-16, 21:54
Administrator

Wow, that's very interesting; thanks very much. I will have a look at that Williams family tree site.

Charles Annis and Sarah Lemon are my partner's 5xg-grandparents (hence why this thread is on the 5xg-grandparents board). Amazing that there could be a connection with Stoke Ash as I grew up in the next village, but my partner is from Lancashire!

Old 16-05-16, 22:20
Administrator

So this is the marriage to Rachel Robinson:
Burnham Thorpe
Charles Annis of this parish Single man and Rachel Robinson of this parish Single woman married by banns 24 Oct 1868, witnesses Willm Rowe and Willm Scott. All make their mark.

Charles Annis also made his mark on the marriage to Sarah Lemon so could well be the same person.

Old 17-05-16, 19:06

Default Charles ANNIS

Hi - Further thoughts about the Charles ANNIS baptism - Stoke Ash or Bury St Edmunds. It's a bit of a long shot, but I wonder if they are one and the same. The parents names are the same, the dates are within 14 months of each other and neither are a million miles away.
The other baptisms/burials recorded to William and Elizabeth, all at Stoke Ash are Richard 19 Jan 1737/8 (bap), John 19 Nov 1739 (bur), Elizabeth 15 Jul 1742 (bap), Charles 3 Oct 1744 (bur), Ann & Mary (twins) 8 Jan 1745/6 (bap), Robert 8 Jan 1745/6 (bap), Charles 16 Apr 1748 (bap), Ann 18 Apr 1748 (bur), Robert 4 Mar 1749/50 (bur), Hannah 18 Dec 1750 (bap) and John 14 Jun 1751 (bap).
I wonder if, on a visit to Bury St Edmunds Elizabeth gave birth to Charles, and having already lost one Charles (see above, 1744), they had him baptised in Bury St Edmunds and then again in Stoke Ash when they returned. I have come across both private and public baptisms of the same child, probably due to the baby being sick and the mortality rate being high. Perhaps Charles was poorly when born but recovered. Lots of if's, but's and maybe's!!!
Do you have a full transcript of the Bury St Edmunds baptism, as if was a private one they sometimes have additional information. The other problem is the Minter baptism in 1760 - wher were the family between 1751 and 1760.
PS Have you come across the Horatio Nelson connection in Burnham Thorpe
Old 17-05-16, 21:40
Administrator

No, I haven't got a full transcript of the Bury St Edmunds baptism. There isn't much Suffolk stuff online and I have never managed to get the chance to go to a Suffolk record office yet. I'll have to have a look at what is online about the Stoke Ash family and the Bury St Edmunds ones though and see if I can figure anything out. There surely must be a connection with the couple who had a child called Minter as it is an uncommon name, don't you think?

I think everyone from that area of Norfolk claims a connection of some kind with Horatio Nelson! Do you know of a specific one with the Annis family?

Old 18-05-16, 08:16
Administrator

These are the children of Charles and Sarah that I know of:
Charles 1771 Rushall (born before the marriage)
Jack Goddard 1776 Pulham St Mary
Robert 1779 Pulham St Mary
Hannah 1781 Pulham St Mary
Richard 1781 Pulham St Mary
Hannah 1783 Burnham Thorpe
John 1786 Burnham Thorpe (my OH's ancestor)
Susanna 1788 Burnham Thorpe
Minter 1791 Burnham Thorpe.

Do you know of any more, and which one are you descended from, please? If only they had a son named William, it would fit better with either of those possible baptisms for Charles!

Looking on FamilySearch, the William and Elizabeth in Bury St Edmunds had twins Mary and Patience baptised in 1749, and a Mary buried in 1746. But some of the other baptisms (including Minter in 1760) are just down as "Suffolk" on there so I am not sure now whether Minter is definitely a Bury St Edmunds one anyway.

Also on FamilySearch, is the burial of John Annis, son of Will and Elizabeth, 19 Nov 1739 at Bury St Edmunds, residence "parish of Briesworth", which must surely be Braiseworth. Braiseworth is close to Stoke Ash but not very near to Bury St Edmunds, so this does show a connection betwen the Stoke Ash / Braiseworth family and the Bury St Edmunds one. Assuming FamilySearch is correct.

Tags
tt5g17