Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take Two 5xGreat-Grandparents

Old 07-05-13, 15:53

According to the settlement records, Elizabeth died in Yeovil workhouse after giving birth to her son.

So how did Deborah Tomlinson know this? Was she from Somerset?

Deborah died in Gray's Inn Workhouse and was buried on 25 January 1812, St Andrew Holborn.

Deborah Burbridge married William Tomlinson on 10 April 1787 at St Andrew, Holborn. She and William had at least four children - all baptised at St Andrew Holborn - Joseph (13 July 1788), Thomas (25 Oct 1791), William (31 March 1793) and Mary (born in the Lying in Hospital, Endell Street, Holborn and baptised on 15 October 1795).

There is a John Underhayes, a 48-year-old coal porter, who was born in Yeovil, living in London in 1861. I wonder if they are connected?

Also, I found an Ann Burbidge, who died on 16 Jan 1793, aged 48. She was form London and buried in Durston, Somerset, on 24 Jan 1793.
Old 07-05-13, 18:29

Thanks Shona.

I had looked at Deorah Tomlinson and found most of what you have detailed here (apart from the birth in the Lying in Hospital) Rebecca's maiden name was Leveridge (or a variation of) and in 1761 a Mary Burbage married a William Leveridge at Yeovil (FreeReg) I know the name is slightly different but it does suggest to me that there may have a relationship between Rebecca and Deborah. There are a lot of Burbages and Leveridges in Yeovil mid 18th C, far more than there were Underhays!
Sadly the Baptisms on FreeReg @ Yeovil only seem to go back to 1780s so I can't find Deborah or Rebecca there. I thought I'd found Rebecca's parentage http://www.genealogistsforum.co.uk/f...ecca+leveridge but I have since disproved this but cannot find another candidate. I still think that there is a Yeovil connection but can't prove it yet!

According FreeReg again, John Underhayes in your post above was born 1808 to a Mary Underhayes, no father named.

Where did you find the Ann Burbidge burial?

Last edited by Sue from Southend; 14-07-16 at 18:22.
Old 07-05-13, 18:37

The Ann Burbige burial was on Ancestry.

Well, I thought it was Ancestry - can't find it now.

Last edited by Shona; 07-05-13 at 19:11.
Old 08-05-13, 10:44
Administrator

Yes, it's in the "Somerset, England, Extracted Parish Records" on ancestry:
ancestry

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 08-05-13, 12:38

Thanks Kite
Old 17-07-16, 14:10

Thanks to the new Somerset records on Ancestry I might (stress "might"!) have got Elizabeth and her parents but would like some other opinions....

In the Settlement Exam quoted at the start of this thread it is claimed that the mother of William Underhay died in the Yeovil Workhouse at the time of his birth. This information came from a woman I now believe to have been a child at this time so would have been reciting gossip or hearsay. With that in mind I found a baptism for William Underhaise 7 Feb 1756 in St John Yeovil http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/60...nSearchResults (about half way down on right hand page) but there is no parent named, just a surname.

On 19 Oct 1756 in St John Yeovil someone by the name of Underhaise is buried. No first name. http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/60...nSearchResults (second from bottom left hand page)
The "vicar" or whoever created this register very rarely names women - they are buried as Widow ..... or Wife of ....... those named would appear to be single or children so my theory is that Elizabeth was an unmarried mother and that she was not named in either record for that reason. Grasping a straws? Probably

Going further back a Betty Underhaise is baptised in 1724 d of Simon at St John Yeovil. I can't see another baptism that is remotely possible.

Opinions welcome!
Old 18-07-16, 07:17
Administrator

It looks possible.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 18-07-16, 07:48

Thanks Kite - it's good to know that someone can see what I'm getting at! If only her son had named one of his children Simon......

Tags
tt5g21