Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take One 3xGreat-Grandparent

Old 28-08-12, 19:26
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
I think this is your Catherine.

Catherine Taylor, baptised 14 November 1786, Middle or New Parish, Greenock. Father: Neill Taylor. Mother: Euphemia Turner.
Any particular reason why you think this is the right Catherine, please, Shona? If she got married in 1794 then she was born long before 1786, and children were usually baptised when they were babies in those days.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 28-08-12, 19:38
Administrator

The Alexander Greeve / Catherine Taylor marriage is on Scotland's People, and the image on there may or may not give further information such as Alexander's occupation, places of residence for both and the name of Catherine's father. Also the images for the baptisms of their children may or may not give further information, such as place of residence, father's occupation, and names of witnesses.

There are these children on FamilySearch, in addition to Alexander jr and Peter:
Patrick Grive, child of Alexander Grive and Katharine Taylor, born 15 May 1795, baptised 24 May 1795 (sorry, FamilySearch is being silly now and not showing me the church name, I think it was Paisley Abbey)
Robert Grieve, child of Alexander Grieve and Catharin Taylor, born 22 Jan 1797, baptised 29 Jan 1797 High Church, Paisley

So if they followed traditional Scottish naming patterns, Alexander's father could be named Patrick and Catherine's could be named Robert. But Patrick was sometimes a variant of Peter, so maybe they viewed them as the same name, and maybe Patrick died and Peter was named after the same person? In which case Alexander could be the one born 1773 Port Glasgow, son of Peter Greive and Sarah Boyd. If I were you, Jood, I would view the images on SP for Alexander and Catherine's marriage and their children's baptisms next to see if there is any extra info on them.

Old 28-08-12, 20:10

Kite, I agree that the images need to be checked on Scotland's People.

Until the 20th century in Scotland, girls aged 12 and boys aged 14 could get married, which is why I didn't dismiss the dates for the birth and marraige of Catherine Taylor. I was taken aback when I first came across very young girls marrying, sometimes to much older men.
Old 28-08-12, 20:15
Administrator

Alexander and Catherine's first son was born in 1795 and Catherine wouldn't have been 9 years old when he was born, so that Greenock one is unlikely to be her baptism. Also none of her sons was named Neill as far as we know (i.e. none that we have found yet). If only we could find some daughters for this couple to get likely names for their mothers!

Old 28-08-12, 20:39

Must brush up in my sums!
Old 28-08-12, 20:51

Catherine and Alexander's son, Peter, in the 1841 census:

Peter Grive, 35
Mary, 34
Alexander, 16
John, 15
Mary, 12,
Jean, 10,
Peter, 5
Janet, 2

So it woud seem that both Peter and Alexander are very much Grieve names.
Old 28-08-12, 22:28
geniebug

Thanks Shona and Kate. Peter Grieve married Jane Galloway in 1824 and this is a fact as some of our relatives had Galloway in their name.

I omitted to say that Peter Grieve in the 1841 census shows

1841 Census

Peter Grive
aged 35, estimated birth year abt 1806
born Paisley Renfrew
Paisley
Address No 10 Smiths St
Occupation Cotton H L W
Parish Number 559
Ed 20A

Alexander Grive abt 1825 Renfrew Paisley Low Renfrew
Janet Grive abt 1839 Renfrew Paisley Low Renfrew
Jean Grive abt 1831 Renfrew Paisley Low Renfrew
John Grive abt 1826 Renfrew Paisley Low Renfrew
Mary Grive abt 1807 Renfrew Paisley Low Renfrew
Mary Grive abt 1829 Renfrew Paisley Low Renfrew
Peter Grive abt 1806 Renfrew Paisley Low Renfrew
Peter Grive abt 1836 Renfrew Paisley Low Renfrew

A mixture of ages here, but shows Peter b 1806 a sibling Mary born 1807, and some adults Peter (1836) Mary (1829) John (1826) Janet 1839) Jean (1831)

Referring to the name patterns, Peter & Jane had two children named Jane & John - so do I discount the other names suggested? I'm a little bit confused now.

I do appreciate your help. (and thanks Babs)

Notice how the surname changes from Greeve Greive Grieve Grive.
Old 28-08-12, 22:57
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by geniebug View Post
A mixture of ages here, but shows Peter b 1806 a sibling Mary born 1807, and some adults Peter (1836) Mary (1829) John (1826) Janet 1839) Jean (1831)
How do you know that Mary is his sister, please, Jood? Also the rest of them are children, aren't they?

Quote:
Referring to the name patterns, Peter & Jane had two children named Jane & John - so do I discount the other names suggested? I'm a little bit confused now.
Naming patterns weren't always followed so you can't really rule anything out based on children's names, it's just that they can often be a good clue.

Old 28-08-12, 23:11
geniebug

I'll go back a bit further. Jane Grieve married my great grandfather William Laughlan on 16 October 1855 in St Patricks, Partick, Renfrew.
Children were John, William John, (my grandfather) George Hepburn, Jane Galloway, Catherine Laughlan.

The name William Laughlan went for 3 generations.

Jane Grieves father was Peter Grieve 1805-1855 and mother was Jane Galloway (1803-1878

The 1841 Census shows him (Peter) to be 35 in 1841, thus born in 1805-6.

I only have two children listed for Peter & Jane - Jane Grieve (1835) and John (1825) tho there are apparently some more in between.

The 1851 census shows John now 26 and born in 1825, widower - his son John 3, and his mother Jean Galloway, widow aged 44, thus born in 1807.

I had Peters parents as Alexander Grieve & Catherine Taylor (note Jane Grieve and William Laughlan called one of their daughters Catherine, and other family names were Jane, John & William.

In answer to your question, I really don't know the relationship of Mary though.
Old 28-08-12, 23:33
Administrator

Judging by the list of names you quoted from the 1841 census, it looks as though Peter named his eldest son Alexander after his father, doesn't it? Of course we can't be sure the children are all Peter's as the 1841 doesn't give relationship to head of household. Have you viewed the image of that 1841 census entry, and if so, what order are the people listed in?

Tags
to3g28