Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take One 4xGreat-Grandparent

Old 24-06-11, 19:53
Administrator

Default Margaret Foster / Forster

Name - "official" name and what they were known as Margaret Foster, alternative spelling Forster
Date and place of birth About 1795, Scarisbrick, Lancashire
Names of parents James Foster and Mary nee Halsall
Date and place of baptism - if applicable Not found
Details of each of his or her marriages - if any 25 Oct 1819 St Cuthbert, North Meols, Lancashire, to James Cooper, both of the parish, witnesses John Rimmer and John Todd
Occupation(s) - if any Farmer's wife
Addresses where they lived (including county if in UK) - and please list which censuses you have or haven't found him/her on (if s/he lived in census times!).
Scarisbrick, Lancashire
1841 census - Snape, Scarisbrick, Lancashire
1851 - Woodmoss, Scarisbrick, Lancashire

Date, place and cause of death Nov 1856 Scarisbrick, Lancashire, not got cause
Date and place of burial. 27 Nov 1856 St Peter & St Paul, Ormskirk, age 61
Details of will / administration of their estate - if applicable None found, but unlikely as her husband outlived her
Memorial inscription - if any Not found

Link to husband's thread:
James Cooper or Sephton
Link to daughter's thread:
Alice Cooper or Foster

The wife of James Cooper in my other thread. I'm getting nowhere fast with her!

James Cooper married Margaret Foster 25 Oct 1819 St Cuthbert, North Meols, Lancashire. Both of the parish, witnesses John Rimmer and John Todd. (John Todd was married to James's sister; I wouldn't bother trying to sort out who John Rimmer was!)

Burial 27 Nov 1856 St Peter and St Paul, Ormskirk - Margaret Cooper age 61, abode Scarisbrick.

On the 1851 census Margaret is age 57, born Scarisbrick, Lancashire. So she was born about 1794-5.

There is a William Foster who appears with the family on various censuses and he must be Margaret's brother because in 1871 he is listed as uncle to her son Henry. His birthplace is Scarisbrick on all the censuses and year of birth around 1788-1791. He's a widower on the 1851 and has no wife with him in 1841, so I would think probably widowed before then. Occupation is Farm Servant till 1871 when he becomes a Retired Farmer. Buried 7 Jan 1874 St Cuthbert, North Meols, age 86, abode Scarisbrick. I couldn't find an entry for him in the National Probate Calendar.

There are a couple of other Fosters who are with the Coopers in early censuses - James Foster age 12 in 1841, and Joseph Foster age 20 in 1851. Joseph is born Scarisbrick, and annoyingly, his relationship to head is "Servant". Maybe William's sons, maybe not. (Then some of the Coopers marry some Fosters, but they may or may not turn out to be related, probably best to ignore them for now.)

I've found a possible baptism for Joseph Foster - 11 Aug 1830 at Lathom Chapel, Ormskirk, son of Mary Foster, spinster, abode Scarisbrick. But there are a few Joseph Fosters of about the same age so this could be the wrong one. And there are quite a few possibles for James. But I can't find any baptisms for Margaret and William!

The surname sometimes appears as Forster.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update

Last edited by kiterunner; 03-09-21 at 17:24. Reason: add parents' names
Old 21-09-12, 09:28
Administrator

Default Margaret Foster

On the 1841 census, William Foster age 50 and James Foster age 12 are with the family, both born in county. On the 1851 census there are William Foster, widower, age 63, farm servant born Scarisbrick and Joseph Foster, unmarried, 20, farm servant born Scarisbrick. On the 1871 census, William Foster age 81 is listed as the uncle of Margaret's son Henry Cooper, so William could be Margaret's brother. Not certain of this, because Henry's wife was Mary Foster, born about 1819 in Scarisbrick and her father was Thomas Foster born about 1795 Scarisbrick, a farmer. So it could be that William was Thomas's brother. But of course it could be that both William and Thomas are Margaret's brothers.

Old 23-11-16, 14:44
Administrator

Found the burial of Joseph Foster, infant, of Scarisbrick, 16 Aug 1830, so I guess that rules out the son of Mary Foster.

But - William Foster married Mary Cropper 10 May 1825 at St Cuthbert, North Meols, both OTP, witnesses Margt Cropper and John Moss.
Joseph Foster baptised 9 Jul 1826, son of William and Mary of Rowe Lane, labourer
James Foster baptised 2 Nov 1828, son of William and Mary of Rowe Lane, labourer
Richard Foster baptised 6 Mar 1831, son of William and Mary of Mill Lane, labourer
Joseph Foster buried 6 Mar 1832, age 5 years, abode Church Town
Richard Foster buried 2 Jun 1832, age 1 year, abode Church Town
Joseph Foster baptised 6 May 1832, son of William and Mary of Mill Lane
Alice Foster baptised 10 Jan 1834, daughter of William and Mary of Church Town
Mary Foster buried 18 Jan 1840, age 34, abode High Park
Alice Foster buried 27 Nov 1841, age 8 years, abode Crossens.

1841 census: Crossens, North Meols
Richard Cropper 60 Ag Lab Y
Alice do 60 Y
Richard do 20 Y
Alice do 25 Y
Peter do 5 Y
Alice do 2 Y
Joseph Foster 8 Y
Alice do 7 Y
Richard do 3 Y
Mary do 3 Y

But I still can't find baptisms for William and Margaret on Lancashire OPC. It looks as though they still have a gap to fill in for St Cuthbert's North Meols though.

Old 23-11-16, 15:02
Administrator

There is a James Foster of Banks buried 11 Dec 1837, age 75, Mary Foster of High Park buried 1 Jan 1836, age 73, and Joseph Foster of Mill Lane buried 26 Sep 1820, age 19.

Joseph Foster, son of James and Mary of Scarisbrick, was baptised 29 Apr 1803 at St Peter and St Paul, Ormskirk. Other children of this couple: Henry 15 Jun 1798, Thomas 28 Nov 1800, and Mary 13 Nov 1807.

James Forster married Mary Halsall 3 Aug 1789 at St Peter and St Paul, Ormskirk, both OTP, witnesses Elizabeth Cropper and Charles Ray.

So, I think that James and Mary are my Margaret's parents and there is a nice gap for William's and Margaret's baptisms in between James and Mary's marriage and Henry's baptism. Would be nice to prove it for sure though!

Old 23-11-16, 23:41
Administrator

Now to figure out whether Thomas baptised 28 Nov 1800 could be the Thomas who I mentioned before, born about 1795 in Scarisbrick, father of Mary Foster born about 1819 who married Henry Cooper. Well, I shall look at that tomorrow.
Edit - looked, but still not certain.

Tags
to4g60