Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take Four 6xGreat-Grandparents

Old 18-03-16, 18:33

Default William Langley

Father of Sarah Langley
Husband of Ann Mant

Name - "official" name and what they were known as
William Langley
Date and place of birth
c1692 Bignor, Sussex
Names of parents
William Langley & Ann Sotcher
Date and place of baptism - if applicable
18 Feb 1692 (new style), Bignor, Sussex
Details of each of his or her marriages - if any
2 Feb 1720, St Martin, Chichester to Ann Mant by licence, William was a resident of Bury, Sussex at the time (next parish east of Bignor), Ann Mant was of Duncton
Occupation(s) - if any
Maltster
Addresses where they lived
Bignor, Sussex (bapt)
Bury, Sussex (at marriage)
Sutton, Sussex (first two children’s bapts 1720 & 1724)
Bignor, Sussex (5 children bapt there and he is buried there)

Date, place and cause of death
Oct 1769, Bignor, Sussex
Date and place of burial.
10 Oct 1769 holy Cross, Bignor, Sussex
Details of will / administration of their estate - if applicable
Yes, made 6 Oct 1769, probate 21 Dec 1770 Chichester see next post
Memorial inscription - if any
Not known

Last edited by Jill; 18-03-16 at 18:46. Reason: link
Old 18-03-16, 18:38

This transcription of William Langley's will was made and sent to me in 2007 by my late distant cousin, Jim Weatherall who was a generous researcher, and may be remembered from other research forums as "Grandpa Jim". We were related through our Sussex Langleys, and probably through our Sussex Steels as well.

William Langley
1690 – 1769

In the Name of God Amen, I William Langley of Bignor in the County of Sussex, Malster, Do make and declare my last Will and testament in manner following.

First I commend my Soul to Almighty God. My Body I commit to the Earth to be decently buried and dispose of my worldly Estate as follows:

First I give and devise All that my Copyhold Lands and premises situate and holden of the Manor of Bignor called (Hungary?) Croft, the same having been by me surrendered to the use of my will, unto my youngest daughter Sarah wife of John Neal and her heirs forever.

Also I give and devise all those my Copyhold Lands and premises called (Loadland?) together with a piece of Land lying in the Eastfield containing five roods, all which premises are lying in Bignor aforesaid and surrendered to the use of my Will, unto my son John Langley and his heirs. And in case my Son John Langley & his Brother Robert Langley who now carry on business in partnership shall disagree or part and dissolve such partnership, then I do charge the above Copyhold premises given to my said Son John with the payment of fforty pounds unto my Son Robert Langley to be paid unto him within Six Months after their parting or dissolving such partnership.

Also I give and devise all that my Copyhold Cottage, Lands and premises called Painters situate in Bignor aforesaid unto my son Richard Langley and his heirs forever chargeable (????????) and I do hereby charge all the said premises, which I have also surrendered to the use of my will, with the payment of an Annuity or Yearly Sum of Twelve Pounds unto my wife Anne Langley to be paid to her by equal half yearly payments for the term of her natural life (????) of all deductions whatsoever the first payment to begin and be made Six Months next after my Decease.

And whereas my said Son Richard Langley is indebted to me in the sum of One Hundred and Thirty and Five Pounds now I do give and bequeath the said Sum of One Hundre & Thirty Five Pounds in manner following/ that is to say:
Ffifty pounds part thereof to my Son William Langley
Ffifty pounds other part thereof to my Son James Langley
Twenty pounds other part thereof to my Daughter Mary Wife of Richard Martin of Bury
Ten pounds other part thereof to my said Daughter Sarah Wife of Wife of John Neal
And ffive pounds the remainder to Edward Carleton of Arundell Gentleman
All which several legacies I desire may be paid within Twelve Months next after my Decease

Also all the Rest, residue and remainder of my Goods, Chattles and Personal Estate whatsoever after all my Debts, Legacies and Funeral Expenses are paid and discharged I give and bequeathe unto my said Wife Anne Langley. And I do make constitute and appoint my said Wife Anne Langley full and sole Executrix of this my last Will and Testament and I do desire the said Edward Carleton to assist her in the execution of this my will and to see the same justly and truly performed.
In Witness whereof I have to this my last Will and Testament set my hand and seal this sixth day of October in the Year of Our Lord One Thousand Seven Hundred and Sixty Nine.
The Mark of William Langley.
Signed, sealed, published and declared by the said William Langley to be his last Will and Testament in the presence of us who at his request and in his presence have set our names as Witnesses thereunto
E Carleton Jun.
The Mark of Susan Burges
The mark of Elizabeth Chafford

Proved 21 December 1770

Registered will Sussex, Chichester Consistory Court Wills index, 1482-1800
STC I/42/181
Transcribed by the late Jim Weatherall in 2007

Tags
tf6g63