Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take One 4xGreat-Grandparent

Old 23-09-11, 12:11

Default Mary Butler (Wk 8: MFMMFM)

Name - "official" name and what they were known as: Mary Butler

Date and place of birth: Unknown

Names of parents: Benjamin Butler (on marriage cert) & Unknown

Date and place of baptism: Unknown

Details of each of his or her marriages: 31st March 1845 at the Parish Church of Tipton, Staffs, to Benjamin Mason. Age given as Full, father is Benjamin Butler, Miner. Witnesses were William & Hannah Jones.

Occupation(s): None/Unknown

Addresses where they lived (including county if in UK) - and please list which censuses you have or haven't found him/her on (if s/he lived in census times!);
None

Date, place and cause of death: Aprox 1847 to 1851 - Child Hannah Mason was born in the June Q of 1847. Her birthplace on census is Pelsall, same as her brother Amos. Benjamin is widowed on the 51 census and has remarried by the end of 1851.

Date and place of burial: Unknown.

Details of will / administration of their estate: Unknown

Memorial inscription: Unknown.

Link to Great x 3 Grandfather Amos Mason: http://genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum...ght=amos+mason
Old 26-09-11, 13:34
Administrator

What's her address on her marriage cert, Claire? Or does it just say Tipton?

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 26-09-11, 16:42
Administrator

I found a possible baptism for her on FamilySearch - Mary Butler baptised 24 Feb 1828 at St Lawrence, Darlaston, near Wolverhampton, Staffordshire, parents Benjamin and Hannah. Also a brother called Amos baptised on the same day, so it looks quite promising.

Also I found this family in 1841 at Bilston (Wolverhampton), Staffs, which you've probably seen before:
Benj Butler 70 Coal Miner Y
Roda Butler 45 Y
Harriet Butler 15 Y
Sarah Butler 11 Y

There is a baptism for Harriot with mother Rhoda, and no father's name. Then Rhoda Butler marries Joshua Fellows 8 Sep 1845 at St Peter Wolverhampton, with FamilySearch listing her father's name as B Butler. A likely death for Rhoda in 1849 which probably explains why I can't find her in 1851 with Joshua to check it's the right person. What we really need to find is Rhoda's baptism showing whether her mother's name was Hannah to confirm it's the same family.

I haven't managed to find Mary and her brother Amos in 1841 yet (of course we don't know how old they were when they were baptised, also whether Amos died before the 1841 census). There are quite a few possibles for Mary.

Old 26-09-11, 17:49

Hi Kite,

Many thanks for taking a look at this lady and the possible connections you have found. I hadnt seen the family on the 41 census before as I really wasnt sure where to start with Mary with only having a father's name from the marriage cert.

The marriage cert was quite unhelpful really. All it said for Mary was that she was of full age, spinster, abode just given as Tipton, father Benjamin Butler who was a miner.

It also doesnt help that there are quite a few Mary Mason deaths between 1847 and 1851. I would like to have got her death cert to establish an age for her.
Old 26-09-11, 18:16
Administrator

Oh sorry, I found a possible death reg earlier on but I couldn't post it because the site was down. Mary Mason, Jan-Mar 1849 Walsall vol 17 p 217. The only other Mary Mason deaths in Walsall district listed on FreeBMD 1847 - 1851 have middle names. Walsall was the district for Pelsall. Of course she could have died somewhere else or been given a middle name on her death reg. I can't see a burial to get the age at death.

Old 26-09-11, 18:35

I do have a feeling that she died in Pelsall and then Benjamin Mason went back to West Bromwich where his family was, although I have nothing to prove that.

I think I may have to invest in that death certificate to see if it is her. Will have to wait for pay day though

Tags
to4g8