Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take One 2xGreat-Grandparent

Old 07-06-16, 20:33

Oh, thanks very much for that, Karen. And welcome to the forum, cousin! I'm so happy to see the place filling up with Robert Pickles' people.
Robert Pickles

This generation is very confusing, I agree. I still have to check myself that I'm thinking of the right Ann/Anne/Nan/Nancy.

So to depart briefly from his 2nd wife Nancy Emmott née Harker (the subject of this thread and my own ancestor) and address the identity of Robert Pickles' 1st wife Ann Emmott (your ancestor) to whom you refer in your last paragraph above, do you reckon that she is the one in Piece: 1317, Book: 4, Folio: 15 on the 1841 who is staying with Susannah Gawthrop and her brand new baby? Or is there yet another Ann(e) Emmott I'm overlooking?

Janet (Niagara)
Old 08-06-16, 07:41

I always thought it must have been her as it fits the age and she is not registered at Great House Farm. ( 14 others are - 2 Emmott families - maybe a good reason to be helping elsewhere) Stott Hill and Great House Farm are just across the Cowling valley from each other - probably not more than 2km.

Back to Ann Harker /Emmott/Pickles her daughter Bella died 21st July 1857 at 10 weeks of "Fits 2 days no medical attendant" according to the death certificate.
Old 09-06-16, 05:16

I do appreciate that, Karen. Thank you. I had indeed wondered about little Bella. I knew she died as an infant. Her sister Emma, my greatgrandmother, would have been not quite 3.5 years old. Old enough, perhaps, to just barely remember the sister she once had.

Good to know you also think that's the right Ann(e) Emmott (wife #1). She seems a good candidate, almost "the girl next door". I need to plot the various census entries and see where they all are in relation to one another.

You know your way around Cowling. Have you been there? Do you have any favorite online maps?

Janet (Niagara)
Old 09-06-16, 14:44

Default Cowling Web

The Cowling Web has a really good map that I have found useful. It is quite a good site and has links to the Craven Indexes (BDM for many of the local villages included) which can be purchased for a small fee. I found them a very good resource. I suspect you would find many of the BERRY ancestors there.

http://www.cowlingweb.co.uk/local_hi...dated_1910.asp

Yes I have been to Cowling. A family hunt a few years ago!!
Old 09-06-16, 16:12

Thanks, Karen! I did discover Cowling Web some years ago. Also purchased the Craven Indexes at that time and they are invaluable. I am indebted to Josie Walsh for many insights.

Glad you posted that link. I knew I had seen Great House on one of the maps but lately I couldn't find it again. Great House and Court House are right there at the bottom of this map, I see, just south of Royd Mill and New Road Side.

The Berry family in Cowling is not mine as far as I can tell, though of course there could be a link I haven't found yet. My line descends from the James Berry (father of Thomas Berry the sizing mill owner in Sutton-in-Craven) who came from Colne. It's the younger James Berry (son of Thomas the mill owner) who married Emma Pickles and game me my Cowling connections.

Janet (Niagara)