Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 11-12-10, 16:11
Muggins in Sussex

Default "Adoption" 1919

I know that there were no formal adoptions then, but if a baby from a children's home was taken in by an unrelated couple ( well, only related in that one of the new "parents'" brothers was a local poor law official), would there be any formal documentation of any sort?

As I write this, I have just realised that if there are any records, I guess they would be closed

Sorry if I've asked this before - I can't remember whether I have or not!
Old 11-12-10, 17:03
Administrator

They could have adopted him after the adoption law came in, but yes, I think you're right that the records would be closed. But as I understand it, you can search the Adopted Children's Index to see if he is listed on there, and the GRO website says that "The public indexes to these records are available at Birmingham Central Library, Bridgend Reference and Information Library, The British Library, City of Westminster Archives Centre, London Metropolitan Archives, Greater Manchester County Record Office and Plymouth Central Library."

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 11-12-10, 17:39

I have read that some Children's Homes did "formal" fostering and adoptions before 1926. I have no idea what form this took but I expect there would be some kind of paperwork.

Whether it still exists and whether you would get to see it is a different story.

OC
Old 11-12-10, 19:09
Muggins in Sussex

Thanks Kite & OC

I'll battle on