Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 29-04-15, 10:27
tenterfieldjulie

Default "The Times" Newspaper

I have two references for the London Times - 11 May 1953 and 24 May 1955 from Arthur Roland Selby's entry in the Dictionary of Biography, which I think are references to his membership of political parties in Natal. I am wondering how to find this.

The following probably explains better what I am looking for

"In February 1946 Selby retired and moved to South Africa and took up citrus farming at Muden, Natal. His dreams of a quiet life were disrupted by the election (1948) of a Nationalist government intent on making South Africa a republic.

Selby became a prominent member of a militant opposition group, the Torch Commando. In 1953 he helped to found the Union Federal Party which failed to win any seats at provincial council elections. "

I think this what this reference is about - Times (London), 11 May 1953

"Never one to change direction, Selby clung to the imperial ideal. He resigned from the U.F.P. in 1955 to devote his efforts to the Anti-Republican League." and I think this is the other - Times (London), 24 May 1955

but how do I find them. Thanks. Julie
Old 29-04-15, 12:12
Administrator

I could email them to you, if you pm me your email addy

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 29-04-15, 23:17
tenterfieldjulie

Many thanks Merry you are a pet. Julie
Old 01-05-15, 11:56
tenterfieldjulie

British Prime Minister Winston Churchill receives gifts for his ...

Video for churchill's 69th birthday? 0:47

www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9FJiAec5T4

So thrilled to find this .. not just an image of Uncle Arthur but moving too .. ooh and Winston Churchill's 69th Birthday lol

Oh Major General Selby (Uncle Arthur) is the 6ft 3 inch man beside Churchill (he carried an injury from Gallipoli in his right elbow and became ambidextrous .. always carried something in his right arm I think to cover his disability)

Last edited by tenterfieldjulie; 01-05-15 at 11:59.
Old 01-05-15, 12:01

Julie join the state library, or national library, and you can use their online databases and access the times for free, at home.
Old 01-05-15, 12:15
tenterfieldjulie

I had forgotten that Kit. I am a member of the State Library.
A kind friend sent me the images and they are extremely important to his story so very chuffed.
I will however have a look at the times for other references when I have time .... not a lot at the moment. Well you do have to sleep some time lol Julie