Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 18-08-13, 14:47
Administrator

Default Using Family Search

Nothing to update BK6 with from this thread

I have used Family Search for about ten years, but don't feel I get the most out of the site since they changes the layout of it after they introduced that pilot version a year or two back.

I don't understand why, if I search for a marriage I only ever seem to get baptisms in the results.

I never see any census results anymore, though I noticed OH does when he searches!

I know some of you look at PR images on FS, but I have never come across where they are.

No sign of the US Social Security Death Indexes - are they still on the site?

I'm trying to remember what else used to be in the list of options in the dark panel that used to appear on the left of the search screen, but I can't remember.

I see there's the option to sign in, but I don't know what extra benefits there are in doing so.

Help please

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 18-08-13, 14:58

Here's a link to the SSDI https://familysearch.org/search/collection/1202535

Here is a full list of their 1633 collections

https://familysearch.org/search/collection/list

You can select any one of those collections and it will search only in that database/collection.

Oh I search for marriages and get baptisms, tho I do get marriage results too!
Old 18-08-13, 15:11

Are you using the filters?

If, instead of saying you want a marriage, you scroll down, and then filter by marriage year or place you can refine your search and not get all the guff.

Not sure why you are not getting census results. Are you looking via favourites, rather than going via a search engine.

To browse images, you need to scroll down the records screen: https://familysearch.org/search click on the area you want and a screen like this comes up: https://familysearch.org/search/coll...INGDOM_IRELAND

click on the collection you want, and then again browse if you want images rather than what has been indexed.
Old 18-08-13, 15:17
Administrator

If you don't want to see baptisms etc when you search for marriages, click on "Restrict records by: Type" and tick the "Marriages" box.

I don't know why you aren't getting census results for your searches - if you post up some examples, I'll look into it.

The list of collections for which Jay posted the link will show you which ones have images available - they will have a camera symbol on the left. Also if you just want a list of the UK databases use Browse by Location and select United Kingdom and Ireland:
https://familysearch.org/search/coll...INGDOM_IRELAND

Sometimes the camera symbol means that the images are available on another site which you have to pay for, such as FMP.

Certain databases only let you view the images if you log in, but I don't think this applies to any of the UK ones at the moment - well, unless you are a member of the LDS Church. I have had to log in to view some of the US images though.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 18-08-13, 15:18

We did have Sharon Hintz explain exactly what signing in meant, and I'm blowed if I can remember. Kite is bound to know.

I think that it is really for Mormons themselves: they can put trees online and allow access just to whatever group of fellow Mormons they choose. As they are encouraging the children to get involved (aided, I gather, by pizza and fizzy pop) there may a lot of recent, sensitive material online now.
Old 18-08-13, 17:01
Administrator

Sorry, I got dragged to the beach and am now finely coated in sand!

I have this page loaded as my favourite:

https://familysearch.org/search/collection/igi

I'm thinking that because it says IGI on the end of it, that's why I'm not getting the census results?

I do use the filters. When I was using the pilot site the filters filtered, but now they don't seem to (at least not a great deal!).

Trying for an example didn't work of course (), so watch this space and when I get the usual thing happening I'll post it then!!

(Kate, I remember a thread a while back where you found something on FS and it took me an age to get the same result as you. I think they key to my problem may lie with what happened when I solved that conundrum (with your help!) so I will have to see if I can find that thead and go through it again)

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 18-08-13, 17:09
Administrator

I am working my way through your replies and seeing loads of screens I've never seen before! lol

Are the LDS census transcriptions the same as anyone else's? (As far as I know the 1881 census is their transcription on everyone else's site, but I was wondering about the other dates)

Old 18-08-13, 17:26

Im finding this thread interesting as I too struggle with Family Search since they altered it.
Old 18-08-13, 17:33
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
https://familysearch.org/search/collection/igi

I'm thinking that because it says IGI on the end of it, that's why I'm not getting the census results?
Yes, that would be it! This is the link to the main search page:
https://familysearch.org/search

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
Are the LDS census transcriptions the same as anyone else's? (As far as I know the 1881 census is their transcription on everyone else's site, but I was wondering about the other dates)
I believe the 1841-1861 censuses are FMP's indexes, while the 1871 started off with FMP's index but FamilySearch are in the process of improving this index and FMP will also get to use the improved index.

1891, 1901 - also takes you through to the images on FMP, but the index doesn't say provided by FMP so maybe FamilySearch indexed it themselves, I'm not sure. I don't remember hearing about them doing it, though, so I think more likely they are using FMP's index but have forgotten to say so in the information about the databases. Maybe we can cross-check a few records between the two sites?

1911 - they use FMP's index.

Old 18-08-13, 17:36
Administrator

There are loads of records on FamilySearch which are not included in the IGI, so I would definitely recommend usually going via the main search page , not the IGI one. (But sometimes you do have to go via the IGI search to find a record that you know is on the IGI but doesn't come up any other way.) If you get a load of irrelevant results then start narrowing down the search using the different options.