Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 23-07-13, 19:03
Administrator

Deceased Online has the burial of a John Walter Lee 10 Sep 1930 at Islington Cemetery. There is a death registered Jul-Sep 1930 John W Lee, Islington, age 75.

This is the National Probate Calendar entry:
LEE John Walter of 50 Quinn Buildings Popham-street Islington Middlesex died 4 September 1930 at Highgate Hospital Highgate Middlesex Probate London 27 September to Jessie Margaret Dale (wife of Frederick Dale). Effects £24.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 23-07-13, 19:09
Administrator

Marriage Jan-Mar 1930 Islington - Frederick Dale / Jessie M Boby.

Old 23-07-13, 19:19
Administrator

And a marriage Jul-Sep 1912 Islington - Charles Boby / Jessie M Clapham. They are on the 1920 roll together at 290 Essex Rd, Islington and then in 1921 just Jessie. Charles Boby died in 1921 age 65. There is a Jessie M Dale death Oct-Dec 1959 Islington, age 81.

Marriage 25 Aug 1900 Islington St Peter between Ernest Clapham and Jessie Margaret Hutchison. He is 25, bachelor, clerk, residence Queen's Head Street Board School, father John Clapham, caretaker. She is 21, spinster (thank goodness!) 103 Arlington Street, father John Peter Hutchison deceased, engraver. Witnesses John Clapham and Lucy Helen Hutchison.

Got to go and eat now - will try to work out how she is connected to John Walter Lee later in the hope it might prove whether or not he is the same John Walter Lee!

Old 23-07-13, 19:41

So Walter Horner Brown wasn't related to Bertha Lee in any way?

It's very intruiging.
Old 23-07-13, 21:46
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
So Walter Horner Brown wasn't related to Bertha Lee in any way?
Both her parents were German, and there is no German connection in Walter's family, so I don't think so. I have loads on his family and I haven't found anything leading to her. I might order Bertha's will and John Walter Lee's will (when I've done some more checking) to see if there is any mention of anyone I have heard of in them, though if JWL only left £24 I don't suppose there are many people mentioned in his - maybe he just wanted to make sure Bertha didn't get her hands on a penny of his money! If the JWL who died in 1930 is the right one, of course.

Old 23-07-13, 22:06
Administrator

1901 126 Hornsey Prk, Wood Green, Middlesex
Ernest Clapham Head M 26 Shipping Clerk London Islington
Jessie Do Wife M 21 Do Do
Nina Freudenthiel Visitor 12 Herts Wealdstone

1911 6 St Ann's Road, Hornsey, Middlesex
John Henry Hutchison Head 38 Married Goods Porter London Clerkenwell
Caroline Hutchison Wife 38 Married 11 yrs 4 children 3 living 1 dead London Islington
Ethel Hutchison Daughter 10 Single London Islington
Harry Hutchison Son 5 London Islington
Jessie Clapham Sister 31 Widow (Married crossed out!) 10 years, 2 children, 2 living Charring London Islington
Gladys Clapham Daughter 9 School Middlesex Hornsey
Leslie Clapham Son 8 School Middlesex Hornsey.

In 1891 there is a Jessie M Hutchinson age 10 born London Islington, "fatherless" in some kind of boarding school at 18 Pemberton Road, Islington.

1881 at 19 Hardinge St, Islington:
John P Hutchison Head Mar 36 General Engraver Middx London
Emily Do Wife Do 35 Somerset Bath
Emily A C Do Daur 13 Scholar Middx London
Mary K Do Do 11 Do Do Do
Lucy H Do Do 9 Do Do Do
John H Do Son 6 Do Do Do
Robert N Do 4 Do Do Do
Jessie M Do Daur 1

So I'm not sure how Jessie is connected to John Walter Lee either! But I think he is probably the same John Walter Lee. I suppose he should be on the censuses if he didn't die till 1930 - I didn't look too hard before because I thought he was supposed to be dead by 1891!

Old 23-07-13, 22:20
Administrator

Oh, on the 1930 London e roll, Frederick Dale and Jessie Margaret Dale are at 50 Quinns Buildings, Popham Street, also at that address in 1929 as Frederick Dale and Jessie Boby. This is the address given for John Walter Lee on the National Probate Calendar. But he isn't listed there on the e roll.

Old 24-07-13, 16:19
Administrator

I've ordered both Bertha's and John Walter Lee's wills, though I'm still not sure whether it's the same John Walter Lee. I had 15 credits to use up on Deceased Online so I viewed the grave info for his burial and it is a communal grave.

Old 14-08-13, 10:50
Administrator

I've received the two wills but they don't seem to contain anything to help. John Walter Lee's will was supposedly written in 1908 (think this is a typo for 1928) and names Jessie Margaret Boby as the beneficiary of his life assurance policies dated 28/6/1926 and 10/10/1927. F Dale, later to be Jessie Margaret's husband, is one of the witnesses. The other one is Leslie Frost Clapham. Executrix Jessie Margaret Dale ... wife of Frederick Dale formerly Boby spinster. That made me laugh! (Her maiden name was Hutchison and she was married to Ernest Clapham and then Charles Boby before Frederick Dale.) There is no mention of any relatives.

Bertha Lee's will is quite difficult to decipher; I'll post it up in a little while when I've typed it out.

Old 14-08-13, 11:06
Administrator

In His Majesty's High Court of Justice.
The Principal Probate Registry.
BE IT KNOWN that Bertha Lee of 31 Digby Mansions Hammersmith in the county of Middlesex formerly of 49 Holland Park Notting Hill Gate in the said county widow died on the 30th day of January 1935 at West London Hospital Hammersmith aforesaid
AND BE IT FURTHER KNOWN that at the date hereunder written the last Will and Testament (a copy whereof is hereunto annexed) of the said deceased was proved and registered in the Principal Probate Registry of His Majesty's High Court of Justice and that Administration of all the Estate which by law devolves to and vests in the personal representative of the said deceased was granted by the aforesaid Court to Lilian Sutcliffe of 15 Bridge Avenue Mansions Hammersmith aforesaid (wife of Hornby Sutcliffe) daughter of deceased one of the Executors named in the said Will. Power reserved to the other Executrix.
And it is hereby certified that an Affidavit for Inland Revenue has been delivered wherein it is shewn that the gross value of the said Estate ... amounts to £39-3-6. Dated the 14th day of March 1935.
I Bertha Lee of 49 Holland Park Notting Hill Gate London widow declare this to be my last Will I appoint my daughters Maud Ver Doughty and Lilian Sutcliffe my Executrices I bequeath to my daughter Lilian my diamond earrings(?) my gold chain braclet gold coins and diamond padlock to my son now residing in Canada my gold signet ring to his wife my large ring(?) to his daughter [name removed in case she is still living] my small miniature ring to my Granddaughter Gladys my large blue str(?) ring to my said daughter Lilian my Chippendale table and to my daughter Maud all my furniture not otherwise bequeathed and as to all the rest of my property I give the same to my said two daughters in equal shares In witness whereof I have hereto set my hand to this my Will this fourteenth day of ??? one thousand nine hundred and twenty seven. Bertha Lee
I can't make out the name of the first witness. Could possibly say John Bennett. The second one is Ronald W Cooper, medical student.